|Single by Mac Miller|
|from the album Watching Movies with the Sound Off|
|Released||May 25, 2013|
|Mac Miller singles chronology|
Watching Movies is a song by American hip hop recording artist Mac Miller. The song was released on May 25, 2013 as the second single from his second studio album Watching Movies with the Sound Off. The song was produced by Sap (who produced his debut single "Donald Trump") and by Miller under the alias Larry Fisherman. "Watching Movies" peaked at number 33 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. A music video by Rex Arrow and Larry Fisherman was created for the single that features Miller succumbing to the materials associated with hip-hop.
On May 4, 2013, Mac Miller announced on Twitter that the second single off Watching Movies with the Sound Off would be titled, "Watching Movies" and produced by himself along with "Donald Trump" producer SAP. Three days later, Mac Miller confirmed that the track would be premiered on May 9, 2013, which he would follow through with. On May 25, the song would be released to retail as the album's second official single.
"Watching Movies" was met with generally positive reviews from music critics. David Amidon of PopMatters spoke of the song saying, "It’s de facto title track "Watching Movies" that puts the whole Miller experience in its most positive light, however, as the SAP and Larry Fisherman beat swallows Miller like the Wizard of Oz tornado and tosses him into a magical world where he’s a fantastic facsimile of Curren$y and Wiz Khalifa rather than middling nasal white boy.
On June 14, 2013, just four days shy of the album's release, Miller released the music video for "Watching Movies". MTV described the video as a cross between horror films and twerking. The Rex Arrow and Larry Fisherman directed video for, "Watching Movies" features Miller rapping among ghoulish, red-eyed men in robes and a pack of sexy, twerking women.
- Digital single
|1.||"Watching Movies"||Malcolm McCormick, Jonathan King||Sap, Larry Fisherman||3:40|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||7|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||33|
|United States||May 25, 2013||Digital download||Rostrum Records|
- "Twitter / MacMiller: next song i'm dropping from the album is called watching movies. sap and i made the beat". Twitter. 2013-05-04. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Twitter / MacMiller: "watching movies" drops thursday". Twitter. 2013-05-07. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "New Music: Mac Miller — 'Watching Movies'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. 2013-05-09. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Watching Movies - Single by Mac Miller". iTunes (US). Apple. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Amidon, David (2013-07-01). "Mac Miller: Watching Movies With the Sound Off". PopMatters. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Nostro, Lauren (2013-06-14). "Mac Miller "Watching Movies"". Complex. Complex Media. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Depland, Michael (2013-06-14). "New Video: Mac Miller, 'Watching Movies' (NSFW) (VIDEO)". MTV Buzzworthy. Viacom. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Mac Miller Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Mac Miller Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.