|Formation||2009 (1990 as WaterPartners)|
|Type||Developmental aid organization|
Water.org is an American nonprofit developmental aid organization resulting from the merger between H2O Africa, co-founded by Matt Damon, and WaterPartners, co-founded by Gary White. Its goal is to provide aid to regions of developing countries that do not have access to safe drinking water and sanitation.
Water.org's approach to implementing water projects involves four key components:
- forging partnerships with local partner organizations in the countries it serves
- involving the community at each stage of the project
- selecting technology appropriate to the local community and their particular situation
- integrating all projects with health and hygiene education.
The organization conducts monitoring, evaluation, and original research programs. It has initiated third-party evaluations of its programs to determine how it is fulfilling its mission.
Water.org's projects are funded through grants, loans, or a combination of the two. Its loan program, known as WaterCredit, utilizes microcredit to fund water sanitation projects. Funding water supply projects through a combination of grants and loans is a new approach to the water sector. This strategy helps these people in need build credit for the future and also builds confidence in commercial institutions that are considering lending. Until recently, almost all water projects facilitated by other nongovernmental organizations have been funded entirely by grants, even when the individuals served by the project have the means to share costs.
Prior to its merger with Water.org, WaterPartners received grants from organizations such as the PepsiCo Foundation, The Michael and Susan Dell Foundation, and Open Square Foundation (previously called the Agora Foundation).
- Damon joins K.C. organization to provide for developing communities AP, July 15, 2009
- Community Water Systems Sustainability Study, Lempira, Honduras, Emory University, October 1, 2006
- Water Projects Sustain Hope and Life in Developing Countries, Voice of America, March 28, 2006
- A Thirsty World, Trans World Features India, January 24, 2007
- Coalition Pledges $400 Million For Clean Water, Sanitation, Wall Street Journal, September 27, 2008
- Firm Decisions, Wall Street Journal, December 10, 2007
- Grants to Aid Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Education Overseas: a Sampling, Chronicle of Philanthropy, October 18, 2007
- "Charity Navigator: Water.org". Retrieved 11 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Water.org.|
- Official website
- World Water Day: A Billion People Worldwide Lack Safe Drinking Water, Larry White, About.com
- Michael & Susan Dell Foundation Awards $1 Million Grant to Innovative Nonprofit Solving Global Water Crisis, November 30, 2004.