Water by the Spoonful
|Water by the Spoonful|
|Written by||Quiara Alegría Hudes|
|Date premiered||October 20, 2011|
|Place premiered||Hartford Stage|
The play, which was commissioned by Hartford Stage as part of Quiara’s 2008-2009 Aetna New Voices Fellowship, debuted at Hartford Stage in October 2011.
The play premiered off-Broadway at the Second Stage Theatre on December 11, 2012 (previews), and ran to February 10, 2013. Directed by Davis McCallum (who also directed the Hartford Stage production), the cast featured Armando Riesco, Liza Colon-Zayas and Zabryna Guevara. 
It is the second part of a trilogy that began with "Elliot, A Soldier's Fugue" and concludes with "The Happiest Song Plays Last". The first element of the trilogy is "about a young Marine coming to terms with his time in Iraq and his father’s and grandfather’s service in Vietnam and Korea".
Pulitzer.org describes the play as "...an imaginative play about the search for meaning by a returning Iraq War veteran working in a sandwich shop in his hometown of Philadelphia." The Boston Globe describes it a story of "...an Iraq war veteran struggling to find his place in the world..." David Ng of The Los Angeles Times says the play "follows an Iraq war veteran who is struggling with civilian life. His story runs in parallel with those of four individuals who connect on an online chatroom dedicated to recovering drug addicts." Erik Piepenburg of The New York Times describes the subject of the play as "..a Puerto Rican veteran of the Iraq war who faces personal demons when he returns to the United States".
- "The 2012 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Drama". Pulitzer.org. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Gans, Andrew (April 16, 2012). "Water By the Spoonful Wins 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Drama". Playbill. Retrieved May 31, 2012.[dead link]
- "Water by the Spoonful Wins Pulitzer Prize for Drama". Hartford Stage. Retrieved May 31, 2012.[dead link]
- "Water By The Spoonful". Lortel.org. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Jones, Kenneth and Hetrick, Adam. "Quiara Alegría Hudes' Pulitzer Prize-Winning 'Water by the Spoonful' Gets Two Extra Weeks Off-Broadway" playbill.com, January 10, 2013
- "'Water by the Spoonful' to land in New York". The Boston Globe. May 16, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Piepenburg, Erik (May 16, 2012). "Pulitzer Prize-Winning Play to Make New York Debut at Second Stage". The New York Times. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Ng, David (April 16, 2012). "Quiara Alegria Hudes' 'Water by the Spoonful' wins drama Pulitzer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Water By the Spoonfil tcg.org, accessed May 5, 2015