Marken, municipality of Waterland
Location in North Holland
|Established||1 January 1991|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Luzette Wagenaar-Kroon (CDA)|
|• Total||115.66 km2 (44.66 sq mi)|
|• Land||52.11 km2 (20.12 sq mi)|
|• Water||63.55 km2 (24.54 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|• Density||332/km2 (860/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Waterland (pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality in the Netherlands, located in the province of North Holland. It is situated north of Amsterdam, on the western shore of the Markermeer. It is well-known for comprising the touristy towns of Broek in Waterland and Marken.
Topographic map of the municipality of Waterland, 2013.
The municipal council of Waterland consists of 17 seats, which are divided as follows:
- Pieter Floriszoon (1602 or 1606 in Monnickendam – 1658) a Dutch Vice Admiral in the Battle of the Sound
- Alexander Johan Berman (1828 in Zierikzee – 1886) the Dutch Reformed minister of Watergang
- Pieter Groenhart (1894 in Ilpendam – 1965) a Dutch lichenologist, researched tropical Asian lichens
- Wim Polak (1924–1999) a Dutch politician, lived in Ilpendam, Mayor of Amsterdam 1977/1983
- Peter Spier (1927–2017) a Dutch-American illustrator and writer of children's books, grew up in Broek in Waterland
- Michaël Zeeman (1958 in Marken – 2009) a Dutch journalist, author, editor, columnist and literary critic
- Sita (born 1980 in Ilpendam) aka Sita Maria Vermeulen, a Dutch pop singer
- Jurjaan Koolen (born 1938) a Dutch volleyball player, competed in the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Marko Klok (born 1968 in Monnickendam) a volleyball player, silver medallist in the 1992 Summer Olympics
- Annette Gerritsen (born 1985 in Ilpendam) a Dutch former speed skater, silver medallist at the 2010 Winter Olympics
- "College van burgemeester & wethouders" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Waterland. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1141GV". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.