Marken, municipality of Waterland
Location in North Holland
|Established||1 January 1991|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Luzette Wagenaar-Kroon (CDA)|
|• Total||115.66 km2 (44.66 sq mi)|
|• Land||52.11 km2 (20.12 sq mi)|
|• Water||63.55 km2 (24.54 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|• Density||332/km2 (860/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Waterland (pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality in the Netherlands, located in the province of North Holland. It is situated north of Amsterdam, on the western shore of the Markermeer. It is well-known for comprising the touristy towns of Broek in Waterland and Marken.
The municipality of Waterland consists of the following cities, towns, villages and districts:
Topographic map of the municipality of Waterland, 2013.
The municipal council of Waterland consists of 17 seats, which are divided as follows:
- Pieter Floriszoon (1602 or 1606 in Monnickendam – 1658) a Dutch Vice Admiral in the Battle of the Sound
- Alexander Johan Berman (1828 in Zierikzee – 1886) the Dutch Reformed minister of Watergang
- Pieter Groenhart (1894 in Ilpendam – 1965) a Dutch lichenologist, researched tropical Asian lichens
- Wim Polak (1924–1999) a Dutch politician, lived in Ilpendam, Mayor of Amsterdam 1977/1983
- Peter Spier (1927–2017) a Dutch-American illustrator and writer of children's books, grew up in Broek in Waterland
- Michaël Zeeman (1958 in Marken – 2009) a Dutch journalist, author, editor, columnist and literary critic
- Sita (born 1980 in Ilpendam) aka Sita Maria Vermeulen, a Dutch pop singer 
- Jurjaan Koolen (born 1938) a Dutch volleyball player, competed in the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Marko Klok (born 1968 in Monnickendam) a volleyball player, silver medallist in the 1992 Summer Olympics
- Annette Gerritsen (born 1985 in Ilpendam) a Dutch former speed skater, silver medallist at the 2010 Winter Olympics
- "College van burgemeester & wethouders" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Waterland. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 1141GV". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- IMDb Database retrieved 13 April 2020