Waterloo Region District School Board
|Waterloo Region District School Board
|51 Ardelt Ave.
|Director of education||John Bryant|
|Students and staff|
Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB, known as English-language Public District School Board No. 24 prior to 1999) is the public school board for the Region of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. It operates 103 elementary schools, 16 secondary schools, and other facilities, serving almost 63,000 students in the Region of Waterloo. It has approximately 7500 staff and a budget of $675 million. It is the largest public sector employer in the Region and the second largest employer overall.
The board serves Waterloo Region, which consists of the cities of Kitchener, Cambridge, and Waterloo, and the townships of Wellesley, Woolwich, Wilmot, and North Dumfries. Within the townships, WRDSB operates schools in the communities of Ayr, Baden, Breslau, Conestogo, Elmira, Floradale, Linwood, New Dundee, New Hamburg, St. Jacobs, and Wellesley.
Trustees are elected every four years by the public school ratepayers in their area. Four trustees are elected in Kitchener, three trustees are elected in each of Waterloo/Wilmot and Cambridge/North Dumfries and one trustee represents Elmira/Woolwich. Although trustees are elected in specific areas, once they are elected they must represent the entire region. Annually, two students are elected by their peers to represent the student voice on the school board. They have a voice at the table but no binding vote. Every year in December, the trustees elect a Chair and Vice Chair for the coming year. Board policy dictates that no one may serve in either role for more than two consecutive years. Two student trustees are elected each year to represent the student voice in policy discussions.
The current Director of Education is John Bryant.
Safe and Secure Schools: Policy development
The School Board was criticized for its role in maintaining, but keeping secret, a file on Ronald Wayne Archer (Ron Archer), a teacher convicted in 2000 of four charges relating to ongoing sexual abuse of his student. Members of the public believed that if the file had been disclosed to principals, the abuse could have been prevented. In May 2001, the School Board was working to create new policies to prevent this kind of abuse in future.
The Safe and Secure Schools policy was developed including a Code of Conduct that outlines expected behaviour standards of all members of the school community: students, parents, guardians, volunteers, staff and visitors.
List of Secondary Schools
- Bluevale Collegiate Institute, Waterloo
- Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute, Kitchener
- Eastwood Collegiate Institute, Kitchener
- Elmira District Secondary School, Elmira
- Forest Heights Collegiate Institute, Kitchener
- Galt Collegiate Institute and Vocational School, Cambridge
- Glenview Park Secondary School, Cambridge
- Grand River Collegiate Institute, Kitchener
- Huron Heights Secondary School, Kitchener
- Jacob Hespeler Secondary School, Cambridge
- Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and Vocational School, Kitchener
- Preston High School, Cambridge
- Sir John A. Macdonald Secondary School, Waterloo
- Southwood Secondary School, Cambridge
- Waterloo Collegiate Institute, Waterloo
- Waterloo-Oxford District Secondary School, Baden
- List of Waterloo Region, Ontario schools
- List of school districts in Ontario
- List of high schools in Ontario
- "Find a School Board". Ontario Ministry of Education. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Ontario Regulation 107/08". e-Laws. Government of Ontario. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Board staff working towards new policies". New Hamburg Independent. 9 May 2001.
- "Safe and Secure Schools". Waterloo Region District School Board. Retrieved 18 April 2012.