|Variations||pan frying, baking, or roasting|
|Cookbook: Watermelon steak Media: Watermelon steak|
If the watermelon is baked, a texture like raw fish can result, Boston Phoenix writer Robert Nadeau comparing a grilled watermelon to seared, raw tuna. He added that the flavor of the fruit "isn't sweet, although it isn't meaty either, but enough of the browning comes through to make it a little like a piece of meat". When well cooked, most of the fruit's water evaporates, concentrating flavor and texture while leaving the watermelon tender, "kind of like a fillet steak".[according to whom?]
- "Grilled watermelon steak: It's what's for dinner". Today. July 29, 2008.
- Schloss, Andrew; Joachim, David (2011). Fire It Up: 400 Recipes for Grilling Everything. Chronicle Books. p. 345. ISBN 978-0-8118-6505-0.
- "Baked Watermelon Steak Recipe and Method- Raw Fish/Sashimi Replacement for Sushi". pennilessparenting.com. 2 November 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Food & Drink | Metropolitan Club
- Bittman, Mark (2007). "Grilled Watermelon Steak". How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-7645-2483-7.