Watership Down (miniseries)
by Richard Adams
|Screenplay by||Tom Bidwell|
|Directed by||Noam Murro|
|Country of origin||
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||4|
|Running time||57 minutes|
Brown Bag Films|
|Distributor||ITV Studios Global Entertainment (International)|
BBC One (UK)|
|Picture format||2:1 1080i|
|Original release||25 December 2018– present|
Watership Down is an upcoming animated television miniseries directed by Noam Murro. It is based on the 1972 novel of the same name by Richard Adams and adapted by Tom Bidwell. It is scheduled to be released on 25 December 2018.
- James McAvoy as Hazel
- Nicholas Hoult as Fiver
- Sir Ben Kingsley as General Woundwort
- John Boyega as Bigwig
- Gemma Arterton as Clover
- Miles Jupp as Blackberry
- Daniel Kaluuya as Bluebell
- Freddie Fox as Captain Holly
- Mackenzie Crook as Hawkbit
- Anne-Marie Duff as Hyzenthlay
- Olivia Colman as Strawberry
- Rory Kinnear as Cowslip
- Lee Ingleby as Captain Campion
- Craig Parkinson as Captain Sainfoin
- Jason Watkins as Captain Orchis
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Vervain
- Daniel Rigby as Dandelion
- Tom Wilkinson as Threarah
- Gemma Chan as Dewdrop
- Jason Faulkner as Frith
- Henry Goodman as Blackavar
- Taron Egerton as El-Ahrairah
- Charlotte Spencer as Nettle
- Rosie Day as Thethuthinnang
- Peter Guinness as Silverweed
- Lizzie Clark as Haystack
- Luke Neal as Scabious
- Rosamund Pike as The Black Rabbit
- Sam Redford as Man
- Murray McArthur as Farmer
- Lorraine Bruce as Farmer's Wife
In July 2014, it was announced that the BBC would be airing a new animated miniseries based on the novel. In April 2016, it was announced that the series would be a co-production between the BBC and Netflix, and would consist of four one-hour episodes. The series has a budget of £20 million. Its release date is expected to be 25 December 2018.
- Ali Jafaar (27 April 2016). "'Watership Down': BBC & Netflix Team On Miniseries With James McAvoy, Nic Hoult And John Boyega". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Watership Down". Netflix Media Center. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- "Watership Down to be adapted on TV". 10 July 2014.
- Alex Ritman (27 April 2016). "Netflix Bags Global Rights for 'Watership Down' Adaptation With John Boyega, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- Plunkett, John (27 April 2016). "BBC and Netflix team up for new Watership Down production" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Travers, Ben (2017-12-28). "The 18 Netflix Original Series to Be Excited About in 2018". IndieWire. Retrieved 2018-07-19.