Watertown Charter Township, Clinton County, Michigan
Watertown Charter Township, Michigan
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||827 ft (252 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||135.1/sq mi (52.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627221|
- Wacousta is a small unincorporated community in the township at , about two miles north of I-96 (though the only interchanges are two miles to the west or east). It is on the Looking Glass River several miles west of DeWitt. Wacousta consists of a general store, library, auto repair shop, a Masonic lodge, pottery studio and store, book store, an elementary school (Wacousta Warriors), cemetery, two parks, a church, and a few hundred houses. Wacousta is often mispronounced as Wah-Cow-stah, and in fact it is pronounced Wah-COO-stah.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (92.7 km²), of which 35.7 square miles (92.5 km²) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.1 km²) (0.14%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,162 people, 1,469 households, and 1,213 families residing in the township. The population density was 116.5 per square mile (45.0/km²). There were 1,502 housing units at an average density of 42.0 per square mile (16.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.11% White, 0.70% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.77% Asian, 0.12% Pacific Islander, 1.15% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.40% of the population.
There were 1,469 households out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.1% were married couples living together, 6.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.4% were non-families. 14.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 30.4% from 45 to 64, and 8.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $67,034, and the median income for a family was $71,354. Males had a median income of $50,536 versus $31,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $26,631. About 1.1% of families and 2.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.4% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- "Population Estimates". Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Watertown Charter Township, Clinton County, Michigan
- American Factfinder, U.S. Census Bureau. Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - State -- County Subdivision, census.gov, retrieved 2011-Apr-14]
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wacousta, Michigan