Watertown Township, Carver County, Minnesota
|Watertown Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||34.5 sq mi (89.3 km2)|
|• Land||32.6 sq mi (84.3 km2)|
|• Water||1.9 sq mi (5.0 km2)|
|Elevation||968 ft (295 m)|
|• Density||44.0/sq mi (17.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665931|
Watertown Township was organized in 1858, and named from the numerous bodies of water within its borders.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.5 square miles (89.3 km²), of which 32.5 square miles (84.3 km²) is land and 1.9 square miles (5.0 km²) (5.62%) is water.
- Buck Lake
- Goose Lake (north quarter)
- Lippert Lake (east quarter)
- Mud Lake
- Oak Lake
- Rice Lake
- Swede Lake
- Franklin Township, Wright County (north)
- Laketown Township (southeast)
- Waconia Township (south)
- Hollywood Township (west)
- Woodland Township, Wright County (northwest)
The township contains these two cemeteries: Saint Paul's Catholic and Zion.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,432 people, 478 households, and 393 families residing in the township. The population density was 44.0 people per square mile (17.0/km²). There were 485 housing units at an average density of 14.9/sq mi (5.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.88% White, 0.28% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.56% Asian, and 0.07% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.56% of the population.
There were 478 households out of which 38.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.1% were married couples living together, 3.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.6% were non-families. 14.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 27.7% from 45 to 64, and 8.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $61,083, and the median income for a family was $67,679. Males had a median income of $42,250 versus $30,724 for females. The per capita income for the township was $24,005. About 3.4% of families and 6.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.1% of those under age 18 and 13.8% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Watertown Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 84.