Watford General Hospital
|Watford General Hospital|
|West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust|
|Location||Watford, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Watford General Hospital is a 521-bed acute District General Hospital situated on Vicarage Road, Watford, Hertfordshire. It is operated by West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust together with Hemel Hempstead General Hospital in Hemel Hempstead and the St Albans City Hospital in St Albans.
Watford General was formed at the foundation of the National Health Service utilising buildings which were formerly the Watford workhouse and, from 1929, Shrodells Public Assistance Institution. Also incorporating Watford's Peace Memorial Hospital which was transferred to the Shrodells site when the Peace Memorial closed in 1985. The Peace Hospice is situated on the former Peace Memorial site.
Outline planning permission to redevelop the hospital and create the Watford Health Campus was granted in 2008. Section 106 agreements which will provide £3 million for infrastructure around the Vicarage Road site, including education and transport, were signed on 26 March 2010. In August 2012 Kier Property was selected to build the development. It will take 15 to 20 years to complete.
Thomas Sawyer Way
A new road has been built to improve linking the hospital to the town centre and the M1, and is now the main access road to and from the hospital. The entrance on Vicarage Road is only used for disabled parking and as a drop-off point for patients. 
- "West Herts Hospitals". Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "Watford - Our Services". 2 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Wright, Mike (2013-06-07). "Names in the frame for new Croxley Rail Link stations in Watford". Watford Observer. Archived from the original on 2013-06-07.
- "Vicarage Road approved by Transport for London for Croxley Rail Link's West Watford station name". Watford Observer. 2013-08-08. Archived from the original on 2013-08-09.
- Higginbotham, Peter. "The Workhouse". Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Details: Watford General Hospital (Peace Memorial Wing), Watford". Hospital Records Database. National Archives. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Peace Memorial Hospital". War Memorials Archive. Imperial War Museum. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Our history". Peace Hospice. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Watford Health Campus closer to reality". Watford Observer. 26 March 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Kier Property is to draw up plans for new hospital and hundreds of homes". Watford Observer. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "First spade hits the ground for the Watford Health Campus road". 23 July 2015. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "New hospital road funding hailed as critical stride to Health Campus". Watford Observer. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.