Watkins, looking west along Colfax Avenue.
Location of Watkins in Adams County and Arapahoe County, Colorado.
|• Total||27.1 sq mi (70.2 km2)|
|• Land||27.1 sq mi (70.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,525 ft (1,684 m)|
|• Density||24/sq mi (9.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0184998|
Watkins (also once called Box Elder) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Arapahoe and Adams counties, Colorado, United States, adjacent to the city of Aurora. It was formerly an incorporated town. The post office serving Watkins, which actually lies within the Aurora city limits, has the ZIP Code 80137. As of the 2010 census Watkins had a population of 653.
A post office called Watkins has been in operation since 1878. The community was named after L. A. Watkins, a cattleman. Long an unincorporated community, Watkins incorporated as a town on June 15, 2004. However, on November 7, 2006, the town voted to revert to being an unincorporated community by a margin of 308-184.
Watkins is involved in trying to build the First Park in Adams County, and the Watkins Historical Preservation Society is co-operating with the town on some historical buildings for installation in the park as well. Front Range Airport is located near Watkins.
Watkins is located at(39.744946,-104.606838).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- Colorado cities and towns
- Colorado counties
- Colorado metropolitan areas
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- STUSPS:CO GEOID:0882905 ANSICODE:02583314 NAME:Watkins CDP ALAND:70172718 AWATER:215 ALAND_SQMI27.094 AWATER_SQMI:0.000 INTPTLAT:39.703135 INTPTLONG:-104.576754 from "Gazetteer Places National" 2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files
- http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st08_co/cou/c08005_arapahoe/BAS11C20800500000_004.pdf http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st08_co/cou/c08005_arapahoe/BAS11C20800500000_005.pdf http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st08_co/cou/c08005_arapahoe/BAS11C20800500000_015.pdf http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st08_co/cou/c08005_arapahoe/BAS11C20800500000_016.pdf U.S. Census 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Arapahoe County, CO
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Watkins, Colorado
- "ALEA Fact Sheet: Arapahoe Law Enforcement Authority; What is it?" Arapahoe County, Colorado
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Watkins CDP, Colorado". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Post offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Dawson, John Frank. Place names in Colorado: why 700 communities were so named, 150 of Spanish or Indian origin. Denver, CO: The J. Frank Dawson Publishing Co. p. 51.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.