Watson Farley & Williams
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|No. of offices||14|
|Major practice areas||Finance & Investment, Maritime, Energy, Natural Resources, Transport, Real Estate and ICT|
|Revenue||$240 million (2013)|
Watson Farley & Williams is an international law firm.
From its beginnings in shipping and shipping finance in 1982, Watson Farley & Williams has developed a broader practice: Finance & Investment, Maritime, Energy, Natural Resources, Transport, Real Estate and ICT. A detailed history of the firm, The Spirit of Enterprise was published for its 25th anniversary in 2007.
Expanding geographically with 13 offices in Europe, Asia and USA, the most recent office openings were in Madrid (November 2009), Munich (June 2008), Milan (May 2008), Hong Kong (March 2012) and Frankfurt (January 2013).
Watson Farley & Williams Asia Practice, a joint venture between Watson Farley & Williams LLP and Asia Practice LLP, was launched in October 2011. The partners operating within Watson Farley & Williams Asia Practice focus on corporate, finance, litigation and dispute resolution.
Watson Farley & Williams opened an office in Dubai, in September 2014.
The firm provides advice in the following sectors:
- Finance and investment
- Natural resources
- Real estate
The firm provides the following services:
- Dispute resolution
Watson Farley & Williams is a member of the Legal Sector Alliance (LSA), an initiative for UK law firms that promotes awareness of climate change and highlights the potential impact of firms' activities. The firm also sponsors International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA), a pro bono/CSR initiative supported by leading international law firms based in London. In 2011, Watson Farley & Williams offset half its carbon emissions (1,085998.27 tonnes) by participating in the African Energy Efficient Stove Project with co2balance.com) – providing several villages in Kenya with stoves that burn more efficiently. In 2012, recycling points in the London office collected 43170kg of paper, saving the equivalent of 564 trees and 58,960kg of CO2. Employees from across the firm also take part in a variety of fundraising activities, ranging from sponsored sporting activities to donating used office equipment.
The firm won the Law Society's Excellence in Social Responsibility – Pro Bono Award in 2008.
The firm ranked 4th out of the UK top 50 law firms within the "Workplace Giving Scheme" table in 2008.
- Chambers Student Guide
- Watson Farley launches joint venture with Singapore's Asia Practice, The Lawyer, 11 October 2011
- Watson Farley secures Singapore local law launch with new tie-up, Legal Week, 11 October 2011
- Watson Farley finalises Hong Kong launch plan, The Lawyer, 17 February 2012
- Watson Farley to open in Hong Kong, Legal Week, February 2011
- Watson Farley launches in Frankfurt with Salans hire, The Lawyer, 14 December 2012
- Watson Farley to launch in Frankfurt with Salans hires, Legal Week, 14 December 2012
- Wechselfieber bei Salans: Öffentlichrechtlerin eröffnet Frankfurter Büro für Watson Farley, JUVE, 14 December 2012
- WFW launches in Dubai with three-lawyer team, The Lawyer, 18 September 2014
- Legal Sector Alliance (LSA)
- International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA)
- Workplace Giving Scheme