Watson Lake Airport
|Watson Lake Airport|
Watson Lake Airport, Watson Lake, Yukon
Watson Lake airport from the air
|Operator||Government of Yukon|
|Location||Watson Lake, Yukon|
|Time zone||PST (UTC−08:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC−07:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||2,255 ft / 687 m|
Watson Lake Airport (IATA: YQH, ICAO: CYQH) is located 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) west of Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada, and is operated by the Yukon government. The paved asphalt runway is 5,500 ft (1,676 m) long and is at an elevation of 2,255 ft (687 m).
Historical airline service
Commencing in the early 1940s, scheduled passenger service was operated in the past by Canadian Pacific Air Lines and its successors CP Air and Canadian Airlines International to Vancouver, British Columbia; Edmonton, Alberta; Whitehorse, Yukon; Fort Nelson, British Columbia; Fort St. John, British Columbia and Prince George, British Columbia. CP Air served the airport with Boeing 737-200 jetliners during the 1970s with direct, no change of plane flights to all of the above destinations; however, this jet service ended as a result of deregulation. Other Canadian Pacific flights into the airport over the years were operated with such twin engine prop aircraft as the Lockheed Lodestar, the Douglas DC-3 and the Convair 240 as well as with the larger, four engine Douglas DC-6B propliner and the Bristol Britannia turboprop.
Passenger service was also provided in the mid 1990s by several regional and commuter airlines such as Central Mountain Air flying Beechcraft twin turboprop aircraft and Alkan Air operating Piper Navajo aircraft. The airport currently does not have any scheduled passenger airline service.
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 5 January 2017 to 0901Z 2 March 2017
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation
- http://www.timetableimages.com, July 15, 1970 CP Air system timetable
- North American Official Airline Guide (OAG), Feb. 1, 1976 edition, Watson Lake flight schedules
- http://www.timetableimages.com, Dec. 1, 1943; Nov. 1, 1953; April 29, 1962 & April 24, 1966 Canadian Pacific Air Lines system timetables
- North American Official Airline Guide (OAG), Sept. 15, 1994 edition
- Yukon Government Airports/Aerodromes
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Watson Lake Airport from Nav Canada as available.
|This article about an airport in the Yukon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|