Khet location in Bangkok
|Seat||Khlong Tan Nuea|
|Khet established||6 March 1998|
|• Total||12.565 km2 (4.851 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,572/km2 (17,020/sq mi)|
|Time zone||THA (UTC+7)|
parts of Phra Khanong Nuea: 10260
Watthana (or Vadhana, Thai: วัฒนา; IPA: [wát.tʰā.nāː]) is one of the 50 districts (Khet) of Bangkok, Thailand. Neighbouring districts are (from the north clockwise): Ratchathewi, Huai Khwang, Suan Luang, Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, Sathon and Pathum Wan.
Watthana was a separate district following the split from Khlong Toei in 1998 to provide better service to its population. The district obtained its name from Princess Galyani Vadhana, the elder sister of King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Watthana or Vadhana means development. The area is among the most developed parts of Bangkok.
On 1 January 2009, Watthana was the location of the Santika Club fire, which killed 66 and injured 222.
The district is sub-divided into three sub-districts (Kwaeng), from west to east:
|1.||Khlong Toei Nuea,||คลองเตยเหนือ,||from the railway to Soi Sukhumvit 31 (Sawatdi)|
|2.||Khlong Tan Nuea,||คลองตันเหนือ,||from Soi 31 to Soi 63 (Ekkamai)|
|3.||Phra Khanong Nuea,||พระโขนงเหนือ,||from Soi 63 to Soi 81 (Siri Phot)|
Comprising the area between Sukhumvit Road and Khlong Saen Saeb, Watthana is one of the commercial districts in Bangkok with lots of condominiums and hotels. A lot of expatriates of many nationalities live there.
- Sukhumvit Road - Vendors selling counterfeit DVDs, T-shirts and tourist trinkets clog the sidewalks from Soi 3 to Soi 15.
- Foodland - One of the branches of the Thai grocery chain is located on Soi 5. It also has a 24-hour coffee shop.
- Terminal 21 is a mixed-use complex near Sukhumvit Road 21, near the Asoke intersection. It opened in October 2011 and is now one of the major shopping centers.
- Villa Plaza - Located between the Sukhumvit 33 nightlife area and Soi 31, the plaza is a shopping and entertainment area anchored by the Villa (open 24 hours) and Fuji supermarkets. It also has some Japanese-only clubs, as well as British-style pubs.
- Thong Lo - This street has become trendy in recent years, with a number of upscale restaurants and "boutique" shopping centres.
- Major Sukhumvit - A large branch of the Major Cineplex cinema chain is located near the Bangkok Skytrain Ekkamai station, with a bowling alley, restaurants and shops.
Dining and entertainment
- "Little Africa" - Near the Grace Hotel, there's a network of alleys between Nana Nuea (means Northern Nana) or Sukhumvit Soi 3, and Soi 5 that is home to many Middle Eastern restaurants.
- Soi Cowboy - Nightlife strip with go-go bars is located off Asok, near the intersection with Sukhumvit.
- Bumrungrad International Hospital - Major medical center that caters to tourists is on Soi Sukhumvit 3.
- Samitivej Hospital - Another upper-class hospital, it's located on Soi Sukhumvit 49.
- Camillian Hospital - A small Catholic hospital on Thong Lo.
- Sukumvit Hospital - Located near the Bangkok Skytrain Ekkamai station.
Besides the east-bound Sukhumvit, prominent roads in the district include several odd-numbered soi's (branch roads) from Sukhumvit: Nana Nuea (Sukhumvit 3), Asok Montri (Sukhumvit 21), Phrom Phong (Sukhumvit 39), Thong Lo (Sukhumvit 55), Ekkamai (Sukhumvit 63), Sukhumvit 71 (Pridi Banomyong) and a small portion of On Nut (Sukhumvit 77).
- BTS Skytrain - Stations in the district are Nana, Asok (links to Bangkok Metro), Phrom Phong, Ekkamai and Phra Khanong.
- Bangkok Metro - The subway's Sukhumvit station is in Watthana district.
- Khlong Saen Saeb - Borders the district; piers for the express boat service are Nana Nua, Asok, Prasan Mit, Ital-Thai, Wat Mai Chong Lom, Thong Lo, Chan Issara and Khlong Tan.
The emblem of the district shows a pavilion, which refers to the residence of Princess Galyani Vadhana, the name patron of the district. Also the red colour refers to the Princess, as red is the day colour of her birthday. The golden rays of light extending from the roof of the pavilion are said to symbolise her divine grace to all Thais. Also the lotus shape is supposed to be an offering to pay respect to the Princess.
Several international schools are located in Watthana District, including The American School of Bangkok's Sukhumvit campus, Anglo Singapore International School's Anglo campus, Ekamai International School, NIST International School and Wells International Kindergarten's Thong Lor campus.
- Srinakharinwirot University - Prasarnmit Campus is on Sukhumvit 23.
- The Siam Society - Established in 1904, it offers lectures, exhibits and trips for Thai and foreign residents who are interested in the study of artistic, scientific and cultural affairs of Thailand. On Asok, near Bangkok Metro Sukhumvit station.
- Japan Foundation - On the 10th Floor of Sermmit Tower on Asok Montri Road, the foundation has a library, art exhibits, lectures and film screenings, primarily designed to teach Japanese culture to Thais.
- Pridi Phanomyong Institute - Established in honor of the late Thai statesman Pridi Phanomyong, the institute houses a library and holds lectures, film screenings and other events. On Soi Thong Lo.
- The Embassy of Argentina in Thailand is located in the Glas Haus Building, 1 Sukhumvit 25 in Watthana.
- The Embassy of Nepal in Thailand is located on Soi Sukhumvit 71 near Soi Pridi Banomyong 9.
- The Embassy of Nigeria in Thailand is located on Soi Sukhumvit 71 near Soi Pridi Banomyong 18.
- The Embassy of Norway in Thailand is located in the UBC II Building in Watthana.
- "Wattana was named by Princess". The Nation. January 7, 2008.
- "Directory: World Airlines." Flight International. 30 March-5 April 2004. 52.
- "Contact - Anglo Campus 31" (Archive). Anglo Singapore International School. Retrieved on 27 May 2014. "Sukhumvit 31, Klongtan Nue, Wattana Bangkok 10110, Thailand"
- "Home." Ekamai International School. Retrieved on 7 March 2013. "57 Ekamai 12 (Soi Charoenjai) Sukhumvit 63, Klongtan Nua, Vadhana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand"
- "." NIST International School. Retrieved on 27 February 2015. "36 Soi Sukhumvit Soi 15, Klongtoey-nua, Watthana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand"
- "Contact Us." Wells International School. Retrieved on 7 March 2013. "Wells International Kindergarten Thong Lor Campus (Nursery – G2) 6 Sukhumvit Soi 51, Klongtan-Nua Wattana, Bangkok 10110"
- "The official site in Thailand."
- "Embassy of Nepal, Bangkok, Thailand." Government of Nepal, Retrieved on 20 October 2014.
- "Embassy of Nigeria, Thailand." Government of Nigeria, Retrieved on 20 October 2014.
- "The official site in Thailand." Government of Norway. Retrieved on 4 March 2010.
- BMA website with the touristical landmarks of Watthana
- Watthana district office (Thai only)
- Siam Society
- Japan Foundation, Bangkok
- Bumrungrad International Hospital