|Birth name||Walter David Buchan|
24 July 1957 |
|Labels||Nuclear Blast, Secret, Rough Justice, Captain Oi!, Exploited, Cherry Red, Spitfire, Icarus, Dream Catcher|
|Associated acts||The Exploited|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Views and beliefs
- 3 Feuds and criticism towards other musicians
- 4 Discography
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Wattie Buchan was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on 24 July 1957. He served in the British Army as a soldier prior to joining The Exploited. He became interested in punk rock in the 1970s after hearing music such as music by the Sex Pistols. Wattie Buchan is married to Gena Buchan.
The Exploited are a Scottish punk rock band from the second wave of UK punk, formed in 1978. Originally a street punk/Oi! band, they transformed into a faster hardcore punk/crossover thrash band with a heavy political influence. Formed in Edinburgh by ("Wattie") Buchan, they signed to Secret Records in March 1981 and released their debut EP Army Life. The album Punks Not Dead followed in the same year. Despite many lineup changes, the band continued into the 2000s and has developed a worldwide following. In 2012 the band started writing material for a new album.
In February 2014, Buchan suffered a heart attack on stage in Lisbon, Portugal. The Exploited had been touring with Hatebreed and Napalm Death. He was admitted to S. José Hospital in Lisbon after the show and later moved to S. Marta Hospital to recover and undergo heart surgery. The Exploited cancelled the remaining of the Tour Of Chaos 2014 due to Buchan's condition. On 29 June 2014, The Exploited's Facebook page updated on Wattie's condition, saying that after a successful heart operation, the band is practicing new material.
Views and beliefs
Wattie Buchan openly hates politics. He also hates religion. Wattie talked about religion saying "I fuckin’ hate religion. For me everyone’s free to believe in something. Just because you believe in some of it, doesn’t mean that you…but I can’t understand people that care about religion more than anything else. I am like “What? What the fuck?!?” I just hate religion." Wattie Buchan is an anarchist.
Feuds and criticism towards other musicians
Wattie Buchan is notorious for strongly criticizing other musicians and starting feuds with them. Wattie Buchan's band The Exploited's Punks Not Dead album's title is a reaction to anarcho punk contemporaries Crass' song "Punk is Dead". Wattie has been open about disliking Crass saying “People listen to bands and believe what they sing about. Crass was just words,” Wattie says. “They were full of shit. They said they believed in this and that, but bought record companies under other people’s names so it couldn’t be traced back to them. It was all about money with them.” Other than Crass, Wattie Buchan has criticized multiple other bands and musicians including Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra, The Adicts, Green Day, Bad Religion, Linkin Park, The Offspring and Descendents. Wattie Buchan also has criticized emo saying "Emo’s shit! They can stick it up their ass!"
Feud With Green Day
As a person who hates Green Day, Wattie Buchan was at a music awards ceremony for a music magazine and was invited to present an award. Green Day won an award and Wattie Buchan had to give them an award. During the afterparty, Green Day member Billie Joe Armstrong went up to Wattie Buchan and said “When you die, I’m going to be standing over your grave, laughing at ya.” Wattie then confronted Armstrong back and then other people pulled Armstrong away from Wattie.
Feud with Jello Biafra
Wattie Buchan has been notorious for his feud with and dislike towards former Dead Kennedys member Jello Biafra. The Exploited's song "I Hate You" is about Jello Biafra. In a tour by the United Kingdom, Jello Biafra carried out a fight with Wattie Buchan.
- Punks Not Dead (1981) ( sample - "Punks Not Dead" (help·info))
- Troops of Tomorrow (1982)
- Let's Start a War... (Said Maggie One Day) (1983)
- Horror Epics (1985)
- Death Before Dishonour (1987)
- The Massacre (1990)
- Beat the Bastards (1996)
- Fuck the System (2002)
- Totally Exploited (1984)
- Singles Collection (1991)
- Twenty Five Years of Anarchy and Chaos (2004)
- Complete Punk Singles Collection (2005)
- Don't Let 'Em Grind You Down (with Anti-Pasti) (1981)
- "Army Life" (1980)
- "Barmy Army" (1980)
- "Dead Cities" (1981)
- "Rival Leaders" (1983)
- "Jesus Is Dead" (1986)
- "War Now" (1988)
- "Army Life" (1980)
- "Exploited Barmy Army" (1980)
- "Dogs of War" (1981)
- "Dead Cities" (1981)
- "Attack/Alternative" (1982)
- "Computers Don't Blunder" (1982)
- Alive at Leeds (1983)
- Sexual Favours (1987)
- Live in Japan (1993)
- Rock and Roll Outlaws (1995)
- Beat 'Em All (2004)
- "Troops of Tomorrow" (1982)
- "U.S.A." (1982)
- "Sexual Favours" (1987)
- "Beat the Bastards" (1996)
- "Never Sell Out" (2003)
- "Chaos is My Life" (2003)
- "You're a Fucking Bastard" (2003)
- "Artist: Wattie Buchan". Second Hand Songs. 15 February 2009. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "RED magazine". Red-mag.com. 18 September 2003. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- The Exploited +++ Real Punk Rock Since 1980. The-Exploited.net. Retrieved 29 January 2013. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "The-Exploited1" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Exploited Singer Wattie Buchan Has Heart Attack On Stage". Ultimate Classic Rock.
- The Exploited +++ Real Punk Rock Since 1980. The-Exploited.net. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Scots punk band The Exploited cancel European tour after frontman has heart attack on stage
- Tour of Chaos
- had our first band practice since watties heart... - The Exploited (the real exploited page)
- "Amnesia Rockfest Interview With Wattie Buchan of The Exploited". Nadia Blostein.
- "The Exploited - Punk's Not Dead". Punknews.org.
- "The Exploited: Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra and Green Day Are “All Like Two Faced C*nts”". Music Feeds.