Wauchula City Chamber of Commerce
|Motto: "Cherishing Our Heritage, Cultivating Our Future"|
Location in Hardee County and the state of Florida
|Incorporated as a City||September 29, 1902|
|Chartered||May 22, 1907|
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||112 ft (34 m)|
|• Density||1,680/sq mi (642.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0292949|
|Website||City of Wauchula, Florida Website|
Wauchula is a city located in Hardee County, Florida, United States, and had a population of 4,368 at the 2000 census. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2004 estimates, the city had a population of 4,441.
Wauchula is located at (27.546091, -81.814564).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2).
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,368 people, 1,431 households, and 985 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,669.6 people per square mile (643.7/km²). There were 1,562 housing units at an average density of 597.0 per square mile (230.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 73.44% White, 4.17% African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 18.84% from other races, and 2.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 39.42% of the population.
There were 1,431 households out of which 36.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 14.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.1% were non-families. 26.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.97 and the average family size was 3.57.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.7% under the age of 18, 11.6% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 17.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 98.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,931, and the median income for a family was $29,943. Males had a median income of $19,129 versus $15,867 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,665. About 19.9% of families and 25.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.0% of those under age 18 and 12.8% of those age 65 or over.
In 2010 Wauchula had a population of 5,001. The racial and ethnic composition of the population was 43.6% non-Hispanic white, 5.9% black or African American, 0.9% Native American, 1.0% Asian, 0.1% non-Hispanic of some other race, 2.3% from two or more races and 48.6% Hispanic or Latino. 44.7% of the population was Mexican.
Hurricane Charley hit Wauchula at ca 5:30 on Friday, August 13, 2004, causing more than $750 million in damage. Sustained winds of 140 mph, with gusts of over 160 mph, were clocked in downtown Wauchula. The entire area had either no running water, or contaminated water for one week. Power was lost to many sections for nearly three weeks, with school canceled for two weeks. The area was declared a federal disaster area after 85% of its buildings were either damaged or destroyed. There was a curfew set for the area for weeks after from 8 pm to 7 am.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Wauchula has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Tom McEwen, Tampa journalist
- "City of Wauchula, Florida Website". City of wauchula, Florida Website. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Profile for Wauchula, Florida, FL". ePodunk. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- 2010 general demographic report for Wauchula
- "NOAA Storm Tracker" (PDF). Spikowski. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Trip Journal Florida". MyTripJournal. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- Climate Summary for Wauchula, Florida
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wauchula, Florida.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Wauchula.|
- City of Wauchula, Florida Website Portal style website, Government, Business, Library, Recreation and more
- Hardee County Official Site
- Peace River Electric Coop
- Directory of the Peace River Valley
- Cracker Barrel History articles about Wauchula and surrounding area, Spessard Stone.
- City-Data.com Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Wauchula