Waunfawr railway station
Beyer-Garratt locomotive NG143 at Waunfawr
|Original company||North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways|
|Managed by||Welsh Highland Railway|
|Owned by||Festiniog Railway Company|
|26 September 1936||Closed|
|7 August 2000||Reopened|
|Stations on heritage railways in the United Kingdom|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|UK Railways portal|
Waunfawr is a station on the narrow gauge Welsh Highland Railway, which was built in 1877 as the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways Moel Tryfan Undertaking to carry dressed slate to Dinas Junction on the London and North Western Railway. Passenger services ceased on 26 September 1936 and the station was reopened on 7 August 2000 following the reconstruction of the railway from Dinas to Waunfawr. The train services are operated by the Festiniog Railway Company.
"Waunfawr" is Welsh for "Big Heath".
In 2000, in order to remodel the layout of the station, the old building was carefully taken down. Although carefully deconstructed by the WH Heritage Group, the numbered and stored stone was inadvertently used as fill for the embankments by the contractor. A rebuild is planned in NWNG style but altered internally to suit 21st century requirements, when funds become available.
The station flower and shrub beds were laid out and are maintained by the local community enterprise charity, Antur Waunfawr. The Snowdonia Park Hotel adjoins the station and was built originally as the station master's house. Entrance to and exit from the station platform is by way of the hotel car park. The station footbridge links with a car park and a caravan park. Snowdonia Sherpa Bus services call at the station.
- Boyd, James I.C. (1988) . Narrow Gauge Railways in South Caernarvonshire - Volume 1. Headington, Oxford: The Oakwood Press. ISBN 978-0-85361-365-7. OCLC 20417464.
- Boyd, James I.C. (1989) . Narrow Gauge Railways in South Caernarvonshire - Volume 2: The Welsh Highland Railway. Headington, Oxford: The Oakwood Press. ISBN 978-0-85361-383-1. OCLC 145018679.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- The Welsh Highland Railway Project - official reconstruction site
- Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon)
- Rebuilding The Welsh Highland Railway - an independent site
- The Royal re-opening to Rhyd Ddu 2003
- Welsh Highland Railway Timetables
- Multimap Map of Waunfawr
- Plans to reconstruct the NWNGR Waunfawr station building
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Tryfan Junction||Welsh Highland Railway||Plas-y-Nant|
|Tryfan Junction||Welsh Highland Railway||Betws Garmon|