This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Rapid Application Development|
Agile Software Development
|Headquarters||Mountain View, CA|
|Vijay Pullur, CEO|
|Products||WaveMaker low code Studio & Platform|
Number of employees
|Approximately 250 (2016)|
WaveMaker is an enterprise grade Java low code platform for building software applications and platforms. WaveMaker Inc. is headquartered in Mountainview, California. For enterprises, WaveMaker is a powerful low code platform that accelerates their app development and IT modernization efforts. For ISVs, it is a consumable low code component that can sit inside their product and offer extreme customizations.
WaveMaker Platform is a licensed software that enables organizations to run their own end-to-application platform-as-a-service (aPaaS) for building and running custom apps. It also allows developers and business users to work with standard enterprise-grade technologies to create apps that can be extended or customized. Those apps can consume APIs, visualize data and automatically support multi-device responsive interfaces.
WaveMaker low code platform enables organizations to deploy applications on public or private cloud infrastructure, and containers can be deployed on top of virtual machines or on bare metal. The software provides a graphic user interface (GUI) console to manage the IT app infrastructure and capabilities based on Docker containerization.
- Apps for web, tablet, and smartphone interfaces
- Enterprise technologies like Java, Hibernate, Spring, AngularJS, JQuery
- Docker-provided APIs and CLI
- Software stack packaging, container provisioning, stack and app upgrading, replication, and fault tolerance
WaveMaker RAD Platform is built around WaveMaker Studio - a WYSIWYG rapid development tool that allows computer-literate business users to compose an application using a drag-and-drop method. WaveMaker Studio supports rapid application development (RAD) for the web, similar to what products like PowerBuilder and Lotus Notes provided for client server computing.
WaveMaker Studio allows developers to produce an application once, then auto-adjust it for a particular target platform, whether a PC, mobile phone, or tablet. Applications created using the WaveMaker Studio follow a model–view–controller architecture.
WaveMaker Studio has been downloaded more than two million times. The Studio community consists of 30,000 registered users. Applications generated by WaveMaker Studio are licensed under the Apache license.
Studio 8 was released September 25, 2015. The prior version, Studio 7, has some notable development milestones. It was based on AngularJS framework, previous Studio versions (6.7, 6.6, 6.5) use the Dojo Toolkit. Some of the features of WaveMaker Studio 7 include:
- Automatic generation of Hibernate mapping, Hibernate queries from database schema import.
- Automatic creation of Enterprise Data Widgets based on schema import. Each widget can display data from a database table as a grid or edit form. Edit form implements create, update, delete functions automatically.
- WYSIWYG Ajax development studio runs in a browser.
- Deployment to Tomcat, IBM WebSphere, Weblogic, JBoss.
- Mashup tool to assemble web applications based on SOAP, REST and RSS web services, Java Services and databases.
- Supports existing CSS, HTML and Java code.
- Deploys a standard Java .war file.
Technologies and Frameworks
WaveMaker allows users to build applications that run on "Open Systems Stack" based on the following technologies and frameworks: AngularJS, Bootstrap, NVD3, HTML, CSS, Apache Cordova, Hibernate, Spring, Spring Security, Java. The various supported integrations include: 
- Databases: Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, IBM DB2, HSQLDB
- Authentication: LDAP, Active Directory, CAS, Custom Java Service, Database
- Version Control: BitBucket (or Stash), Github, Apache Subversion
- Deployment: Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, WaveMaker Private Cloud (Docker containerization), IBM Web Sphere, Apache Tomcat, SpringSource tcServer, Oracle WebLogic Server, JBoss(WildFly), GlassFish
- App Stores: Google Play, Apple App Store, Windows Store
- WaveMaker was founded as ActiveGrid in 2003.
- In November 2007, ActiveGrid was rebranded as WaveMaker with the aim of simplifying the assembly of Web applications, while meeting the architectural, security and governance policies of CIOs.
- WaveMaker was acquired by VMware, Inc in March 2011  but after two years VMWare terminated the support for the WaveMaker project in March 2013.
- In May 2013, Pramati Technologies acquired the assets of WaveMaker from VMWare.
- In February 2014, WaveMaker, Inc. released WaveMaker Studio 6.7, the last version of the open source, downloadable Studio.
- In September 2014, WaveMaker, Inc. launched WaveMaker RAD Platform (with WaveMaker Studio version 7), licensed software that enabled organizations to run their own end-to-end application platform as a service (aPaaS) for building and running custom apps.
- "Build Your Own Enterprise App". Mobile Enterprise. 16 September 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "WaveMaker Launches aPaaS Environment Based on Docker Containers". Programmable Web. 16 September 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "WaveMaker Enterprise Launches for Rapid API App Development". Talkin' Cloud. 17 September 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- Babcock, Charles (16 September 2014). "WaveMaker PaaS Bets On Docker". InformationWeek. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Is WaveMaker the Web 2.0 Version of PowerBuilder?". Hurwitz Group. November 11, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-25.
- Leopold, George (16 September 2014). "WaveMaker Leverages Docker for App Delivery". EnterpriseTech. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "WaveMaker Ajax Framework License Information". WaveMaker. February 23, 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-03-03. Retrieved 2008-02-25.
- "WaveMaker Visual Ajax Tool". InfoWorld. April 20, 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- "WaveMaker Webinar". WaveMaker. September 19, 2013.
- "Technologies Behind WaveMaker".
- "ActiveGrid Re-brands as WaveMaker". Developer's PowerBuilder Journal. 2007-11-07.
- "WaveMaker Springs To VMware". WaveMaker. March 8, 2011.
- "Announcing the release of WaveMaker 6.5.3". WaveMaker. March 14, 2013.
- "Pramati Acquires WaveMaker". Pramati Technologies. 2013-05-01.
- "Announcing the release of WaveMaker 6.7.0". WaveMaker. 2014-02-25.
- "WaveMaker Revolutionizes Custom Application Development". CloudExpo Journal. 2014-09-16.