Wave (Antônio Carlos Jobim song)
|Song by Antônio Carlos Jobim|
|from the album Wave|
|Songwriter(s)||Antônio Carlos Jobim|
"Wave" (also known as "Vou Te Contar" in Portuguese) is a bossa nova song written by Antônio Carlos Jobim. Recorded as an instrumental on his 1967 album of the same name, its English lyrics were written by Jobim himself later that year.
The English lyrics were used on the November 11, 1969 recording by Frank Sinatra, on his 1970 album Sinatra & Company. The English lyrics were also used by Johnny Mathis in his 1970 Close to You album. The English lyrics were also used by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 (sung by Lani Hall with Mendes) on their second album, Equinox, in 1967.
According to The Jazz Discography by Tom lord, the song has been recorded nearly 500 times.
- Antonio Carlos Jobim – Wave (1967) and Antonio Carlos Jobim and Friends (1993)
- Oscar Peterson – Motions and Emotions (1969; arrangement by Claus Ogerman)
- Paul Desmond – Live (1975)
- Joao Gilberto – Amoroso (1976)
- Fred Hersch and Bill Frisell – Songs We Know (1998)
- Ahmad Jamal – The Awakening (1970)
- Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim – Sinatra & Company (1970)
- McCoy Tyner with Ron Carter and Tony Williams – Supertrios (1977)
- Sarah Vaughan – Live in Japan (1973)
|This article about Brazilian music is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|