Waverley (MBTA station)
Waverley station viewed from Trapelo Road in 2010
|Location||525 Trapelo Road
Belmont, MA 02478-1403
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||MBTA Bus: 73, 554|
March 4, 1974
|Passengers (2013)||117 (weekday inbound average)|
Waverley is a passenger rail station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Line, located in Waverley Square, Belmont, Massachusetts. The station is located below grade, in the triangle of Trapelo Road, Lexington Street, and Church Street in western Belmont.
The Fitchburg Railroad opened through Belmont on December 20, 1843, but no station stop at Waverly Square existed until about 1860. The original station was at grade; it was depressed in 1952, at which time Central Mass Line trains were moved from their parallel tracks onto the Fitchburg main. All service to Waverley and nearby Belmont Center ended in 1958.
Service to Belmont Center and Waverley resumed on March 4, 1974. The Central Mass Branch had been discontinued in 1971, so all service was on the South Acton (now Fitchburg) Line. Weekend service was discontinued at the two stops on January 30, 1981 as part of general cutbacks, but restored on December 6, 1993.
As part of budget cuts, in 2015, the MBTA was considering an option to shutter the current Waverley station and/or Belmont Station(s) due to expenses related to costs for making Waverley ADA-accessible. Plans to combine both stations have been outlined in previous studies as early as 2005. Such works as the Fitchburg Commuter Rail Line Improvement Implementation Plan, released in September 2005 have considered this plan. Other past proposals for altering the station, and in the process raising revenue have included building above the trench style station with a five-story mixed retail and residential development.
Two MBTA Bus routes terminate at Waverley Square:
- Belcher, Jonathan (22 March 2014). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- Humphrey, Thomas J. & Clark, Norton D. (1985). Boston's Commuter Rail: The First 150 Years. Boston Street Railway Association. pp. 86–88. ISBN 9780685412947.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14 ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- TUCKER, FRANKLIN (February 29, 2012). "MBTA Cuts Will Go Deep Into Belmont". Belmont Patch. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- Berkowitz, Bram (September 17, 2015). "Belmont could be home to new MBTA station". Gatehouse Media, LLC. Wicked Local. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- TUCKER, FRANKLIN B. (September 16, 2015). "Belmont Could See One, Both MBTA Commuter Stations Closed In Favor of New Stop". The Belmontonian. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- Brownsberger, Will (September 4, 2015). "A New Challenge for Belmont and the MBTA". State Senator. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- "MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Branch Improvements". Fitchburg Commuter Rail Line Improvement Implementation Plan. Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. September 2005. Archived from the original on 29 January 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Cole, Caroline Louise (February 12, 2004). "MBTA air rights eyed for 5-story complex". The Boston Globe. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waverley (MBTA station).|