Waverton, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
View of Sydney from Waverton
|Population||3,020 (2016 census)|
|• Density||3,780/km2 (9,800/sq mi)|
|Area||0.8 km2 (0.3 sq mi)|
|Location||4 km (2 mi) north of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||North Sydney Council|
|State electorate(s)||North Shore|
|Federal Division(s)||North Sydney|
Waverton is a suburb on the lower North Shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Waverton is located 4 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of North Sydney Council.
The North Shore railway line was extended south from St Leonards to Milsons Point in 1893. The station in this area for nearly forty years was known as Bay Road, after the thoroughfare that crosses the railway line. The local progress association recommended a change and Waverton was chosen in 1929.
Waverton has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Waverton has a village-like collection of shops around the railway station, including an IGA supermarket, bottle shop, butcher, dry cleaners, chemist and several restaurants and cafes including the Third Rail Cafe, Botanica Cafe, Bay Tandoori and Tamarind Thai. The 'Grumpy Baker' returned to Waverton late 2018 after a three year absence .
Balls Head Reserve, the bushland peninsula, is a popular picnic destination especially when there are harbour fireworks. Its one-way road system also forms part of a favoured route for walkers and joggers. Waverton Park, on the banks of Berry's Bay with stunning views of Sydney Harbour, is another recreation focal point.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Waverton (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Waverton Station Master's Residence". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollen, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- "Waverton Railway Station group". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01284. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Royal Australian Navy - HMAS Waterhen". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Shops in Waverton". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Grumpy Baker Waverton".
- "North Sydney Council - Balls Head Reserve". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
Media related to Waverton, New South Wales at Wikimedia Commons