Waverton railway station, Sydney
Northbound view from Platform 2 in September 2006
|Location||Bay Road, Waverton|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||6.11 kilometres from Central|
|Opened||1 May 1893|
|Previous names||Bay Road|
When built the North Shore line proceeded to the original Milsons Point station at Lavender Bay. With the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the line was diverted via North Sydney station on 20 March 1932.
The original line was retained to access the North Sydney Car Sidings next to Luna Park. A shunting neck is located behind Platform 2 for these services. In May 1993, an upgrade of the station was completed which included a new overbridge and canopies.
The station received unusual attention in January 2007, when part of the Platform 2 face was seen to have an apparition of Jesus Christ on it. Church leaders are unconvinced but remaining open-minded about the apparition, which has been explained as a combination of worn away paint and moss. People have been visiting the station to see the appartiton, requiring station staff to ensure that no observer is hit by a passing train.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Epping, Richmond & Emu Plains|||
|2||services to Chatswood, Hornsby & Berowra||evening peak hour NSW TrainLink services to Wyong|
Sydney Buses operate one route via Waverton station:
- Bay Road Station Sydney Morning Herald 21 May 1929 page 12
- Waverton Station NSWrail.net
- Waverton Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- "60 Years Ago" Railway Digest May 1989 page 190
- "Waverton Station Upgrade Completed" Railway Digest June 1993 page 223
- Vision of Christ at station Daily Telegraph 8 January 2007
- Ghostly face has commuters guessing The Australian 8 January 2007
- "T1: North Shore & Northern line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended February 2015].
- "Central Coast & Newcastle line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 5 January 2015.
- "Routes 265 and 269 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 2 June 2014.
- NightRide bus services Transport Info NSW