|Industry||Test & Measurement|
|Successor||Wavetek, Wandel & Goltermann|
|Headquarters||San Diego, California|
Wavetek was an electronic test equipment manufacturer that made function generators, signal generators and service monitors. Although Wavetek did not invent the function generator, it made them commercially popular. The company's swept RF/microwave signal generators of early 1980's were virtually unmatched in component quality and had user interface features that included a birdy marker system for frequency counting, automatic level control, remote interface port, and front panel designed for quick and simple user control. Following obsolescence, the company technology eventually devolved into lower cost digital instrumentation. 
Before Terrence Gooding, president and CEO of Wavetek, took Wavetek private in 1991, the company had 800 employees, 260 of whom worked in San Diego. The company had plants in the US states California, Florida, Indiana, and New York. It had overseas locations in Germany, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom.
In January 2000, test equipment manufacturer Fluke Corporation acquired Wavetek's Precision Management Division, and announced their intention to keep the Wavetek name for existing products. WWG kept Wavetek's LAN business unit, cable networks, fiber optics and wireless test gear.
In May 2000, WWG merged with hand-held test equipment developer TTC to form Acterna.
In 2003, Acterna's LAN tester division which developed LANTech Ethernet test instruments was acquired by Ideal Industries.
- California Secretary of State records for Wavetek, entity C0446337
- Riggs, Rod (1993-12-22). "Wavetek on Crest of Success". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- Rostky, George (March 13, 2001), Design classics: the function generator, EE Times, retrieved March 31, 2012. History of the function generator.
- Rose, Craig D. (1994-10-12). "Wavetek becomes even less 'defensive'". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- "Wavetek's Sale is Agreed to". Los Angeles Times. 1991-02-26. Archived from the original on 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "Fluke acquires Wavetek product lines". eetimes.com. 2000-01-06. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- "JDS Uniphase jumps into triple-play testing with Acterna acquisition". frost.com. 2005-03-08. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- "Ideal to buy LAN division of Wavetek". ewweb.com. 2003-05-01. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "JDS Uniphase jumps into triple-play testing with Acterna acquisition". lightwaveonline.com. 2005-05-24. Retrieved 2016-11-09.