||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Birth name||Jean-Christophe Le Saoût|
|Genres||Trip hop, turntablism, hip hop, downtempo, electronica, electro swing|
|Instruments||live show features WT - turntables/keys-laptop/video, Marina Quaisse - cello, Charlotte Savary - vocals, Marine Thibault - flute, Mr Gib - sound engineer, Madwreck & Mattic (The Others) - MCs.|
|Years active||2001 - present|
Le Plan (US)
Mole Listening Pearls (GER)
blend corp. (AUST/NZ)
|Associated acts||Marina Quaisse, Charlotte Savary, Mr Gib, Madwreck & Mattic from The Others.|
Jean-Christophe Le Saoût (born 19 July 1975 in Vernon, Eure), better known by the stage name Wax Tailor, is a French trip hop/hip hop producer. He has released four studio albums collaborating with a great number of artists and has also released a number of EPs in France.
After being a host on a French radio in the Paris suburb of Mantes-La-Jolie, Le Saoût started the French Rap band La Formule in the 1990s. He created his label Lab'Oratoire in 1998 and produced records from La Formule as well as Break Beat compilations and a collaboration with the Swedish band Looptroop. He began work on the Wax Tailor project in 2001, first appearing on a remix of Looptroop & La Formule's "Deep Under Water".
Wax Tailor's first EP Lost the Way was released in 2004 and features contributions from Charlotte Savary, Marina Quaisse, and Big Dada rapper Infinite Livez. This was followed the same year by another EP titled Que Sera / Where My Heart's At).
His first full-length album Tales of the Forgotten Melodies was released in March 2005, mixing hip-hop, downtempo, trip hop with samples extracted from movies. This album became one of the best selling electronic releases of the year.
This was followed by a second album Hope & Sorrow released in April 2007.
His third album In The Mood For Life was released on September 22, 2009.
- Winner of 2013 Sacem Electronic Music Prize
- Winner of the 7th annual Independent Music Awards Vox Pop vote for best Dance/Electronica album Hope & Sorrow
- Three of his albums, Hope & Sorrow, In The Mood for Life and Dusty Rainbow From The Dark were nominated for Best Electronic Album at the Victoires de la Musique in France
|2005||Tales of the Forgotten Melodies||150|
|2007||Hope & Sorrow||31|
|2009||In The Mood For Life||9|
|2012||Dusty Rainbow From The Dark||8|
- Live albums
|2010||Live 2010 à l'Olympia||62|
|2014||Phonovisions Symphonic Orchestra|
EPs and singles
|2004||Que Sera/Where my Heart's At|
|Lost the Way|
|2006||Our Dance/Walk the Line||Tales of the Forgotten Melodies|
|2007||To Dry Up/The Games You Play||78||Hope and Sorrow|
|Positively Inclined / The Way We Lived||78|
|2008||We Be / There Is Danger||78|
|2009||"Say Yes" (feat. ASM)||30||In the Mood for Life|
|This Train" / "Leave It||25|
|2010||I Own You|
|2012||"Heart Stop||81||Dusty Rainbow From the Dark|
- Looptroop & La Formule - Deep Under Water (Wax Tailor remix) 2001
- Clover - Death of the Lonely Superhero (Wax Tailor remix) 2005
- Wax Tailor - Our Dance (Wax Tailor Remix) 2006
- Nina Simone - I Am Blessed 2008
- Lost the Way Directed by Seamus Haley
- Hypnosis Theme Directed by Hugo Arcier)
- Our Dance (feat. Charlotte Savary) Directed by Laurent King
- Where My Heart's At (feat. The Others) Directed by Tenas
- Walk The Line (feat. The Others) Directed by Wax Tailor
- To Dry Up (feat. Charlotte Savary) Directed by Laurent King
- Positively Inclined (feat. A.S.M.) Directed by Tenas
- The Games You Play (feat. Voice) Directed by Tenas
- We Be (feat. Ursula Rucker) Directed by Mathieu Foucher
- Say Yes (feat. A.S.M.) Directed by Wax Tailor & Tenas
- I Own You (feat. Charlie Winston) Directed by Romain Chassaing
- This Train (feat. Voice & Ali Harter) Directed by Romain Segaud
- Dragon Chasers (feat. Charlotte Savary) Directed by David Périssère
- Heart Stop (feat. Jennifer Charles) Directed by Mathieu Foucher & Leïla Sy
- Time To Go (feat. Aloe Blacc) Directed by Darcy Prendergast & Seamus Spilsbury
- Dusty Rainbow (feat. Charlotte Savary) Directed by Anaëlle Moreau
- Only Once (feat. Ali Harter) Directed by Stéphanie Grivillers
Covers, references, and sampling
- His track "Seize The Day" recorded with Charlotte Savary appears in the soundtrack of the 2008 film Paris by Cédric Klapisch.
- True, Chris. "Biography: Wax Tailor". Allmusic. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- fr:Victoires de la musique 2008#Artiste de musiques .C3.A9lectroniques ou dance de l.27ann.C3.A9e
- fr:Victoires de la musique 2010#L.E2.80.99enregistrement de musiques .C3.A9lectroniques ou dance de l.E2.80.99ann.C3.A9e
- LesCharts.com: Wax Tailor discography