I Wayan Koster
I Wayan Koster
|10th Governor of Bali|
|Assumed office |
5 September 2018
|Deputy||Tjokorda Oka A. A. Sukawati|
|Preceded by||I Made Mangku Pastika|
|Member of People's Representative Council|
1 October 2004 – 14 May 2018
|Born||20 October 1962|
|Alma mater||Bandung Institute of Technology|
Jakarta State University
I Wayan Koster (born 20 October 1962) is an Indonesian politician who is the 10th governor of Bali. Before becoming governor, he was a member of the People's Representative Council representing the province.
He was born in the town of Singaraja on 20 October 1962. He completed his first twelve years of education there, graduating highschool in 1981. Afterwards, he moved to Bandung to study at Bandung Institute of Technology, from where he graduated in 1987 with a bachelor's degree in mathematics. Later on, he received a masters from the International Golden Institute (1995) and a doctorate from Jakarta State University (1999).
After gaining his bachelors, he worked at the Ministry of Education and Culture as a researcher between 1988 and 1995. He then became a non-permanent lecturer at Tarumanegara University, Pelita Harapan University, Jakarta State University and an economic institute.
By 2003, he was specialist staff in PDI-P. In 2004, he ran for a seat in the People's Representative Council as part of PDI-P. During the campaigning process, he headed a committee of a rally supporting the party in his hometown. Participants of the rally clashed with that of another rally supporting Golkar, resulting in two deaths from the latter group. Koster received a civil suit due to his position. Regardless, Koster secured a seat in the parliament after the 2004 election, and was sworn in on 1 October that year.
After being reelected in 2009 with 185,901 votes, Koster was investigated by the Corruption Eradication Commission several times during his second term. He was questioned in 2011 regarding a case in the education ministry, in 2013 regarding another case related to the National Sports Week, and in 2014 about the cases of Akil Mochtar and the Hambalang sports complex. He was reelected for a third term in 2014, winning 260,342 votes. This was the most votes for Bali candidates and third-most votes won by a parliamentary candidate nationally, after fellow PDI-P members Karolin Margret Natasa and Puan Maharani.
During most of his time in the parliament, Koster was part of the tenth commission covering education, culture, sports, tourism and creative economy. He had voiced an opposition against a 2014 law which would alter the selection of the parliamentary speaker from appointment by the largest party in an election to that of a parliamentary vote. He also voiced his support for a law which would allow Balinese villages to pick between being a "cultural village" or a standard village. He was eventually retasked to the fifth commission on public works, transportation and rural development.
Governor of Bali
In 2018, he ran in the gubernatorial elections for Bali, resigning from his parliament seat in order to do so. Running with Tjok Oka Artha Ardhana Sukawati, the pair won with 57.68 percent of the votes. He was sworn in on 5 September 2018.
During the campaigning period, he stated that he wished to alter the family planning program in Bali by changing the recommended number of children from two to four in order to fit Balinese traditions.
He announced ban the plastic, as stipulated in Gubernatorial Regulation (Pergub) No. 97/2018, expressing hope that the policy would lead to a 70 percent decline in Bali's marine plastics within a year.
- "Wayan Koster". merdeka.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Alumni ITB Bali Dukung Wayan Koster Jadi Gubernur". Okezone (in Indonesian). 1 April 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-07-18. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Nursasi, Putri Avi. "Wayan Koster". tirto.id (in Indonesian). Archived from the original on 2017-05-25. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Daftar Riwayat Hidup Calon Gubernur Bali" (PDF). kpu.go.id. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Caleg PDIP Digugat Kader PDIP Rp 110 Juta". Tempo (in Indonesian). 26 January 2004. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "DPR Indonesia yang Baru sudah Dilantik dan Disumpah - 2004-10-01". VOA Indonesia (in Indonesian). 1 October 2004. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Resmi Mundur dari DPR RI, Koster Ucapkan Terima Kasih Pada Warga Bali". balipuspanews.com (in Indonesian). 13 May 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "KPK Periksa I Wayan Koster Terkait Korupsi di Kemendiknas". Republika (in Indonesian). 2 November 2011. Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Nurhasim, Ahmad (3 September 2013). "Kasus Korupsi PON Riau, Wayan Koster Diperiksa KPK". Tempo (in Indonesian). Archived from the original on 2018-09-09. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Pratomo, Angga Yudha (2 September 2014). "Wayan Koster diperiksa KPK dalam kasus Akil Mochtar". Merdeka (in Indonesian). Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Rastika, Icha (16 June 2014). "KPK Kembali Periksa Wayan Koster Terkait Kasus Hambalang". KOMPAS (in Indonesian). Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Daftar Top 50 Peraih Suara Terbanyak Caleg DPR RI". Tribunnews.com (in Indonesian). 15 May 2014. Archived from the original on 2018-09-09. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Wayan Koster Anggap UU MD3 Tidak Adil". metrotvnews.com (in Indonesian). 30 August 2014. Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "UU Desa Berpeluang Kuatkan Desa Adat di Bali". inilahbali.com (in Indonesian). 7 September 2014. Archived from the original on 2018-09-09. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- Hidayat, Mohammad Arief (27 June 2018). "Riwayat Singkat Dua Pasang Cagub dan Cawagub Bali". VIVA (in Indonesian). Retrieved 8 September 2018.
Koster tak pernah pindah tugas komisi selama di DPR, yaitu di Komisi X (bidang pendidikan, olahraga, pariwisata, dan ekonomi kreatif), hingga digeser ke Komisi V (bidang pekerjaan umum, transportasi, dan pembangunan desa).
- "Jadi Cagub Bali, Wayan Koster Resmi Mundur dari DPR". liputan6.com (in Indonesian). 14 May 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-07-05. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Koster-Ace Menang Pilgub Bali 2018". CNN Indonesia (in Indonesian). 9 July 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-07-09. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Resmi, Koster-Ace Dilantik Presiden Jokowi Bersama 8 Gubernur dan Wakil Gubernur Lainnya". Tribun Bali (in Indonesian). 5 September 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-09-05. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "I Wayan Koster Ingin Ubah KB di Bali Jadi 4 Anak". liputan6.com (in Indonesian). 15 March 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-04-09. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "Bali enacts plastics ban, targeting 70 percent reduced use in 2019". The Jakarta Post. December 25, 2018. Retrieved July 13, 2019.
I Made Mangku Pastika
| Governor of Bali