|Known for||Science fiction and fantasy painting|
|Spouse(s)||Shawna McCarthy |
Laura Hansen Barlowe
Wayne Douglas Barlowe (born January 6, 1958) is an American science fiction and fantasy writer and painter. He has painted over 300 book and magazine covers and illustrations for many major book publishers, as well as Life magazine, Time magazine, and Newsweek. His parents, Sy and Dorothea Barlowe, were both natural history artists.
Wayne Barlowe is well known for his realistic paintings of surreal alien (or fantastic) life. His Barlowe's Guides to extraterrestrials and to fantasy are his interpretations of specific creatures and beings from well-known science fiction and fantasy literature. His Inferno is an interpretation of the demonology contained in the Grimoire of Honorius. His Expedition is a complex look of the speculative evolution of the fictional planet Darwin IV.
He has two daughters, Cayley and Hillary. He was married to Laura Hansen Barlowe in 2013.
- Babylon 5: Thirdspace (1998)
- Galaxy Quest (1999)
- Titan A.E. (2000)
- Blade II (2002)
- Hellboy (2004)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
- Alien Planet (2005)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)
- The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
- Avatar (2009)
- Dante's Inferno (2010)
- John Carter (2012)
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
- Pacific Rim (2013)
- Pete's Dragon (2016)
- Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials (1979)
- Expedition: Being an Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV (1990)
- An Alphabet of Dinosaurs written by Dr. Peter Dodson, illustrated by Barlowe (1995)
- The Alien Life of Wayne Barlowe (1995)
- Barlowe's Guide to Fantasy (1996)
- Barlowe's Inferno (1998)
- Brushfire: Illuminations from the Inferno (2001)
- God's Demon, a novel (2007)
- The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure (2009)
- "Shawna McCarthy, Editor, Marries Wayne D. Barlowe". 1983-06-26. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "God's Demon". Kirkus Reviews. 2010-05-20. Retrieved 2018-06-05.