Wayne Township, Auglaize County, Ohio
|Wayne Township, Auglaize County, Ohio|
Location of Wayne Township in Auglaize County
|• Total||27.0 sq mi (69.9 km2)|
|• Land||27.0 sq mi (69.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,033 ft (315 m)|
|• Density||59/sq mi (22.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085775|
Wayne Township is one of the fourteen townships of Auglaize County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 1,594 people in the township of whom some 747 lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county it borders the following townships:
- Auglaize Township, Allen County - north
- Marion Township, Hardin County - northeast corner
- Roundhead Township, Hardin County - east
- Goshen Township - south
- Union Township - west
- Perry Township, Allen County - northwest corner
The village of Waynesfield is located in southwestern Wayne Township.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau the area of the township is 27.0 square miles (69.9 km2).
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to four-year terms beginning the next January 1. Two trustees are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it.
The township fiscal officer is elected in November of the year before the presidential election; he or she serves a four-year term beginning the next April 1. Vacancies on the board of trustees or in the fiscal office are filled by the remaining trustees.
Children in Wayne Township attend schools of the Waynesfield-Goshen Local School District except in the southeast corner of the township where they are served by the Upper Scioto Valley Local School District.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Wayne township, Auglaize County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Williamson, C. W. (1905). History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Public Men. Press of W.M. Linn & Sons. p. 731.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Sutton, Robert (1880). History of Auglaize County, Ohio : with the Indian history of Wapakoneta, and the first settlement of the county. p. 178.
- Auglaize County, Ohio Atlas and History, Piqua: Magee Brother Publishing, 1917, p. 123. Accessed 2007-07-05.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.