Wayne Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Wayne Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
Switzerland of Ohio Country Club, just west of Wilson
Location of Wayne Township in Belmont County
|• Total||35.6 sq mi (92.2 km2)|
|• Land||35.2 sq mi (91.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,066 ft (325 m)|
|• Density||20/sq mi (7.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085789|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Goshen Township - north
- Smith Township - northeast
- Washington Township - east
- Sunsbury Township, Monroe County - southeast
- Malaga Township, Monroe County - southwest
- Somerset Township - west
- Warren Township - northwest corner
Part of the village of Wilson is located in southern Wayne Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Wayne township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 319.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 483. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.