|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-HR|
For other places with the same name, see Wazirabad (disambiguation).
Wazirabad (Hindi: वजीराबाद अहीर) is a large village in Gurgaon district Haryana state, India. It lies on the Gurgaon-Faridabad road and is dominated by the Yaduvanshi Ahirs caste, mainly of the Dagar gotra. It has a population of about 8279 persons living in around 1461 households. The village is spread over three wards under the Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon: wards 30, 31 and 33. Sector 52, 56 and Ardee city also comes under Wazirabad; its Pin code is 122003.
Majority of village land was purchased by DLF Limited, Haryana Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation (HSIIDC) and Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA). The village made news in 2010, when it came open that 350 acres of prime land in the village, acquired from the panchayat, was sold for Rs. 17 billion to developer DLF Limited for development of a recreation and leisure park. Wazirabad is the highest revenue-generating village of Gurgaon.
351 acres of land in Wazirabad village was sold to DLF in 2000–2001 by Haryana government to develop a recreation and leisure project. The land was acquired to develop industrial and residential areas. About 253 acres of this large chunk of land acquired by HSIIDC and HUDA is notified forest. Out of this large portion, 92 acres is notified under Punjab Land Preservation Act and the remaining 161 acres is covered under Aravali Plantation Scheme, as per record of the forest department.
Land was acquired from villagers for Rs 700 million by the state in the name of public utilities in 2003–2004. However, 350 acres of prime land was sold off to private developer DLF for Rs 17 billion in 2009. This was contentious, as due to the land's prime location right next to the DLF Golf Club, the land sold is worth Rs 400 billion. HUDA and HSIIDC had acquired 350 acres of the primarily panchayat land in Wazirabad village[when?] under public utilities and then sold it off for Rs 17 billion[when?] to a private developer for residential commercial development, villagers have objected to this, saying that had government not interfered in land dealings then DLF and other builders would have given the villagers market price of their land. The major area in Wazirabaad belonged to Mr. Malkhan Singh and his family still resides here. Villagers of Wazirabaad still respect him as he was very popular.
On 2 February 2011, the Supreme Court of India ordered the Haryana government to evict "encroachers" from the land, previously belonging to the village community, which had been transferred for private and commercial use.
2012 High court order
The Punjab and Haryana high court has restrained Delhi Land and Finance (DLF) developers from carrying out any construction activity on around 278 acres of land in Wazirabad village and also from creating any third party rights. The construction company is coming up with Golf Villas at the site by the project name 'Magnolias'.
- Government dismisses Opposition charges on recreation project – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (25 January 2011). Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- Short History. yadav history. Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- "Delimitation of Wards". Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon, official website. 5 October 2010.
- . Pin Code. Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- Gurgaon Community Portal || News, Views, Reviews, Comments, & Shopping in Gurgaon – The "Almost" Official Portal For Gurgaon. Gurgaonscoop.com (24 January 2011). Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- "HARYANA Forest too lands in DLF kitty". Tehelka Magazine, Vol 8, Issue 5. 5 February 2011.
- Wazirabad recreation project planned on forest land [Gurgaon] | Times of India, The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET. Findarticles.com (12 January 2011). Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- Wazirabad land case: Minister promises action [Gurgaon] | Times of India, The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET. Findarticles.com (13 January 2011). Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- Wazirabad project: Government favouring private developers – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (24 January 2011). Retrieved on 10 February 2011.
- SC check on land acquisition a blow to government, private developers, Times of India, 2 Feb 2011,