We Are the People Party
|National affiliation||Call of Egypt|
|House of Representatives||
0 / 568
The We Are the People Party, also translated as the We are Egypt Party, is a political party that is made up of 270 former members of parliament. The party was formed by the Coalition of the People's Representatives, which is composed of former members of the National Democratic Party, which was formerly the ruling party of Egypt. The party was formerly known as the Egyptian Street Party. The party seeks to obtain a majority of the seats in the 2015 parliamentary election. The party prohibits Islamists and people who were involved in corruption from being involved in the party.
The constitution that was passed in 2012 has a ban on former members of the NDP from taking part in any "political activities"; former members of the NDP are identified as “those who had been on 25 January 2011 members in the general secretariat of the NDP or its policies committee or its political executive office or former members in the parliament (the two chambers) in the two parliamentary seasons prior to the revolution." The 2013 draft of the constitution, which in final form passed in a referendum, had the ban on NDP members removed, though the Cairo Court for Urgent Matters banned former NDP members from taking part in elections on 6 May 2014. However, a member of a committee that is revising parliamentary laws (named Mahmoud Fawzy) has stated that the law only bans those who are convicted of tax evasion and political corruption. The ruling barring former NDP members from taking part in elections was overturned by the Cairo Court for Urgent Matters on 14 July 2014.
- "Former MPs to form new party". Cairo Post. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "نواب من "الوطني المنحل" يشكلون حزب "إحنا الشعب".. ويعلنون "30 يونيو" مرجعيتهم". Al Masry Al Youm. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "السبت..تدشين ائتلاف"نداء مصر"على غرار"نداء تونس"لخوض منافسة النواب". Youm7. 23 December 2014.
- "Newly approved political party formed to 'purge' Egypt of terrorists". Mada Masr. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Just for you:National Democratic Party members re-enter political scene". Daily News Egypt. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Former NDP members to form new party". Egypt Independent. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Seven instant changes occur in Egypt after constitution's ratification". Ahram Online. 27 December 2012. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Egypt constitution 'approved by 98.1 percent'". Al Jazeera English. 18 January 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "22 Key Points in Egypt's New Draft Constitution". Al Monitor. 23 August 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Court bans NDP leaders from running in elections". Mada Masr. 6 May 2014. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- "Technical committee recommends radical changes to Egypt's parliamentary elections law". Ahram Online. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Court overturns previous ruling, says NDP members can run in elections". Cairo Post. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
|This article about a political party in Egypt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|