|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Pat Benatar|
|from the album Tropico|
|Released||October 16, 1984|
|Pat Benatar singles chronology|
"We Belong" is a song made popular by American rock singer Pat Benatar, released as the lead single from her sixth studio album, Tropico (1984). It matched the success of "Love Is a Battlefield" on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the U.S., peaking at #5. It reached #3 on Billboard's Top Rock Tracks chart and #34 on the Adult Contemporary.
It was also successful in the United Kingdom where it peaked number 22 in the charts, nearly matching the popularity of "Love Is a Battlefield" which is her most recognized song there. The song was written by songwriting team Lowen & Navarro. The song earned Benatar a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance alongside Linda Ronstadt, Tina Turner, Madonna, and Whitney Houston. It was awarded a Gold certification in Canada for sales of 5000 units.
The music video uses the 7" version of the song, which contains some additional vocals in the 4 bar introduction that aren't present in the album version.
- Lowen & Navarro recorded their own version of the song on their 1990 album Walking on a Wire.
- A Eurodance cover of the song was released by Double Dare.
- The song was covered by American artist Lynn Carey Saylor for her album You Like It Clean released in January 2007. It features "We Belong" songwriter Lowen & Navarro on backup vocals, as well as Queen guitarist Brian May. Eric Lowen, who is seen in the video singing throughout with Saylor, was suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease). The singer wished to honor him by recording a cover of this song.
- A cover version by Arabella Harrison was used in a television ad campaign for Sheraton Hotels and Resorts. According to Harrison's Myspace page, there is no full-length cover of the song as she was only commissioned to record a 45-second version.
- A cover version by The Bangles is included on the 2009 album Keep The Light Alive: Celebrating The Music of Lowen & Navarro. The proceeds of the album benefit The Eric Lowen Trust, ALS Association Greater Los Angeles, and Augie's Quest.
- American folk musical duo Everly recorded a version that is included in the third volume of their B Track albums that have songs featured on the CW hit television series, One Tree Hill, as Bethany Joy Galeotti (one half of the duo) stars in it.
- A cover by the Vitamin String Quartet was featured on the 100th episode of Gossip Girl, in which Blair Waldorf marries Prince Louis Grimaldi.
- Kat Robichaud performed this song in the 18th episode of the fifth series of The Voice U.S. in 2013.
- Hazell Dean recorded a hi-NRG cover of the song for her 2013 album In The Name Of....
- The song was featured on the 2015 successful movie Pitch Perfect 2 where the song was performed by Rebel Wilson and Adam Devine and by the Barden Bellas At the 2015 acapella's world championship's final's.
- American indie rock duo Wye Oak performed a version of the song in March 2016 for The A.V. Club's A.V. Undercover series.
Appearances in pop culture
- The song was featured in the closing credits of the February 7, 1985 episode of hit UK music programme Top of the Pops.
- The song was featured in films Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and Blue Valentine.
- "We Belong" was the musical theme to a marketing campaign for the Sheraton Hotel & Resort company in 2006.
- It is the name of one of the episodes of the hit teen drama series Instant Star
- It appeared as one of the last songs in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
- The song is featured in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories where it appeared on the in-game radio station Emotion 98.3.
- It was made available to download on February 22, 2011 for use in the Rock Band 3 music gaming platform in both Basic rhythm, and PRO mode which utilizes real guitar / bass guitar, and MIDI compatible electronic drum kits / keyboards in addition to vocals.
- The song appeared as a karaoke tune at a Christmas party in season three, episode eleven of the American TV show, The Office (U.S. TV series).
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||7|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||8|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||13|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||7|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||22|
|US Billboard Hot 100||5|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||3|
- "Gossip Girl Music – Season 5, Episode 13". The CW. January 2012. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Marsi, Steve (January 31, 2012). "Gossip Girl Music From "G.G."". TV Fanatic. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Eckstein, David (January 25, 2012). "'Gossip Girl' EP: We've been 'planning Blair's wedding since the pilot'". Zap2it. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
- Anthony, David (March 29, 2016). "Wye Oak covers Pat Benatar, announces big tour". The A.V. Club. Onion, Inc. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "5 Things You Didn't Know: Pat Benatar’s "We Belong"". WCBS-FM. January 31, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970 – 1992. Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. pp. 32–33. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Top RPM Singles: Issue 9672." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Pat Benatar – We Belong" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Charts.org.nz – Pat Benatar – We Belong". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Swisscharts.com – Pat Benatar – We Belong". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Pat Benatar: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Pat Benatar – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Pat Benatar. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- "Pat Benatar – Chart history" Billboard Mainstream Rock Songs for Pat Benatar. Retrieved May 1, 2013.