We Belong Together (Randy Newman song)
|"We Belong Together"|
|Single by Randy Newman|
|from the album Toy Story 3|
|Genre||Blue-eyed soul, pop|
|Randy Newman chronology|
"We Belong Together" is a song written, composed and performed by Randy Newman for the 2010 movie Toy Story 3. The song was nominated for several Best Original Song awards from various film society and movie awards committees. The song won the Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 83rd Academy Awards in February 2011.
When he accepted his Oscar, which was presented by Jennifer Hudson, his speech was a humorous one that Moviefone.com says "stole the show". He made fun of advice he was given that "it's not really good television to take a list out of your pocket and thank a lot of people", saying that "I just have to thank these people. I don't want to. I want to be good television so badly."
It was nominated for the Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Song at the 16th Annual BFCA Critics Choice Awards in 2011 and Best Original Song at the 2010 Denver Film Critics Society, losing both to "If I Rise" by A. R. Rahman and Dido. It lost Best Original Song awards to Cher's "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" at the Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards 2010 and "I See the Light", from the film Tangled, at the 1st Annual Awards.com Movie Awards.
At the 53rd Grammy Awards in February 2011, Newman was nominated in both the Best Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media, which he won with the Toy Story 3 Soundtrack, and the Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media. However, his best song nomination was for "Down in New Orleans" from The Princess and the Frog.
It is the first song on the film score of Toy Story 3. The entire album was composed and conducted by Randy Newman. Upon the film's release, Disney did not release the soundtrack album for Toy Story 3 on CD. It was only available as a music download in lossy formats such as MP3 and AAC, until January 2012, when Walt Disney Records and Intrada Records released the soundtrack on CD.
|16th Annual BFCA Critics Choice Awards||Best Original Song||Nominated||||"If I Rise"|
|2010 Denver Film Critics Society||Best Original Song|||
|Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards 2010||Best Original Song||||"You Haven't Seen the Last of Me"|
|1st Annual Awards.com Movie Awards||Best Original Song||"I See the Light"|
|83rd Academy Awards||Best Original Song||Won||||Won|
- "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- Dunn, Gabrielle (February 28, 2011). "Randy Newman Tries For 'Good Television' In Oscars Acceptance Speech (Video)". Moviefone.com. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Talarico, Brittany (February 28, 2011). "Randy Newman Wants to Be "Good Television;" Oscar Winner Gives Humorous Speech". OK!. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Labrecque, Jeff (December 13, 2010). "'Black Swan' leads Critics' Choice nominations". Insidemovies.ew.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Denver Film Critics Society 2011 Award Winners". DenverFilmCritics.org. January 28, 2011. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Phoenix Film Critics Name The Kings Speech Best Film of 2010". PhoenixFilmCriticsSociety.org. December 28, 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- Rizvi, Samad (February 13, 2011). "Randy Newman Wins Grammy For Toy Story 3 Soundtrack". Pixar Times. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- "Nominees And Winners: 2010 – 53rd Annual GRAMMY Awards: Film/TV/Media". Grammy.com. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "INTRADA Announces Randy Newman's TOY STORY 3". Intrada. January 23, 2012. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "In The Key Of Disney [Amazon.com Exclusive Version]". Amazon.com. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- Graff, Gary (October 18, 2011). "Brian Wilson Starts New Album, Talks Beach Boys Rumors & 'SMiLE'". Billboard. Retrieved February 20, 2012.