We Don't Talk Anymore
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"We Don't Talk Anymore"|
|Single by Cliff Richard|
|from the album Rock 'n' Roll Juvenile/
We Don't Talk Anymore (in U.S.)
|B-side||"Count Me Out" (Britten-Welch)|
|Recorded||29 May 1979 RG Jones Recording Studios/Wimbledon and Roundhouse Studios|
|Genre||Synthpop, pop rock|
3:39 (US 7" version)
|Cliff Richard singles chronology|
"We Don't Talk Anymore" is a song recorded by Cliff Richard that reached number one in the UK Singles Chart in August 1979, remaining there for four weeks. Produced by The Shadows' rhythm guitarist, Bruce Welch, and written by Alan Tarney, it was Cliff Richard's tenth UK number one and his first since "Congratulations" in 1968.
Coming just before his 39th birthday, and just when it was announced that he was to receive the OBE for services to music, the record cemented his comeback, which continued well into the 1980s and 1990s. The single was his biggest worldwide seller: it was number one in Germany for five weeks (his only English-language German chart-topper, though he had two German-language number ones there in the 1960s), and reached number seven on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the United States. The fact that its chart run extended beyond the end of 1979 meant Richard became the first act to reach the Hot 100's top 40 in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
The single sold over 4 million copies worldwide, topping the charts in the UK, Austria, Belgium (Flanders), Finland, West Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Malta, Norway and Switzerland. It was certified Gold in both the UK and West Germany.
The song was the sixth video aired on MTV on its launch on 1 August 1981.
Charts and certifications
- "The OFFICIAL Cliff Richard website: Discography - Singles". Cliffrichard.org. Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 371–2. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Casey Kasem, American Top 40, 12 April 1980
- "UK certification Database". BPI. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Cliff Richard)" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Cliff Richard: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (doc). Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "we don't talk anymore - cliff richard". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Retrieved 25 July 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 1
- "Top Singles - Volume 32, No. 21, February 16, 1980" (PDF). Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- Pennanen, Timo (1979). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 9789511210535.
- Select Cliff RICHARD from the drop-down selection box and click OK: "French Singles - Artists R". infodisc.fr (in French). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Ireland singles charts". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- "I singoli più venduti del 1979". HitParadeItalia (in Italian). Creative Commons. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
10. We Don't Talk Anymore - Cliff Richard [#2]
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100". Billboard Japan. Hanshin Contents Link. 1979-06-22. Retrieved 2013-09-20.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Cliff Richard search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore". VG-lista.
- "South African Rock Lists Website SA Charts 1969 - 1989 Acts (H)". Rock.co.za. John Samson. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 1979). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Cliff Richard – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Cliff Richard.
- "End of Year Singles Chart Top 100 - 1979". www.uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Top selling singles in Australia for 1979". australianmusichistory.com (originally Kent Music Report). Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- The 1980 Top 100 Singles chart is identified by the RPM Year-End article "Top 100 Singles (1980)". RPM (magazine). Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1979 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Top 100 Songs of 1980 - Billboard Year End Charts". www.bobborst.com. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Cash Box Year End Pop Singles - 1979". 18.104.22.168. 1979-12-29. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "British single certifications – Cliff Richard – We Don't Talk Anymore". British Phonographic Industry. Enter We Don't Talk Anymore in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Cliff Richard; 'We Don't Talk Anymore')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
"I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats
|UK number one single
25 August 1979 - 15 September 1979
"Cars" by Gary Numan
|This 1970s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|