We Got Married
|We Got Married|
Current We Got Married logo
|Opening theme||Season 1: "Only You" by Kim Jong Wook|
|Ending theme||Season 1: "100% Romantic" by Min Sul|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||302|
|Executive producer(s)||Im Jeong-ah|
|Original release||16 March 2008– present|
|Related shows||Hello Baby
|Revised Romanization||Uri Gyeolhon Haesseoyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Uri Kyŏlhon Haessŏyo|
We Got Married (Hangul: 우리 결혼했어요) is a South Korean reality variety show, and used to be one segment of the Sunday Sunday Night program. It currently airs on Saturday 17:00 KST on MBC. First broadcast in 2008, the show pairs up Korean celebrities to show what life would be like if they were married. Each week, couples have assigned missions to complete, with candid interviews of the participants to reveal their thoughts and feelings.
2008 Lunar New Year Special
This special pilot episode aired on February 6, 2008. The four arranged couples must prepare dinner with a fixed amount of money.
With a new format and slightly different couples, newlyweds are given a mission to complete each week. As during the special pilot episode, interviewed participants provide a unique perspective on the ongoing relationship conflicts and developments. All of the recorded material is then played in front of the participants, MCs, and audience who add commentary or clarification.
Beginning with a Lunar New Year's Special in 2009 with three new couples, a new format is introduced into the show, first forecasted through the addition of Kangin and Lee Yoon-ji. Each couple is given a concept to portray; in Kangin and Lee Yoon-ji's case, a college couple living with a limited income.
- Original couples
- Alex & Shin Ae (Ep 1-8, 13-34)
- Crown J & Seo In-young (Ep 1-41)
- Andy & Solbi (Ep 1-28)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Saori (Ep 1-8)
- Additional couples
- Lee Hwi-jae & Jo Yeo-jeong (Ep 9-17)
- Kim Hyun-joong & Hwangbo (Ep 9-38)
- Hwanhee & Hwayobi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Marco & Son Dam-bi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Choi Jin-young & Lee Hyun-ji (Ep 25)
- Kangin & Lee Yoon-ji (Ep 39-55)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Kim Taeyeon (Ep 42-54)
- Shin Sung-rok & Kim Shin-young (Ep 42, 45-54)
- Jun Jin & Lee Si-young (Ep 42, 45-55)
As of May 2009, the producers announced another change in the format with all four couples departing, cutting down to just one couple and shortening the show to just 60 minutes. The show will now portray a more realistic side to what a marriage is, instead of "the painted image of marriage based on romance". For the first time, a real couple is cast in the show. Guest celebrities are invited to be show's commentators for each episode so that they can share their opinions on marriage on behalf of their age group. Kim Yong Jun and Hwang Jung-eum also do the interview room together dressed in wedding attire.
However, due to low ratings, the show returned to its old format with the addition of a make-believe couple actor Park Jae-jung and After School member Uee on August 2, 2009. For the Chuseok special, Brown Eyed Girls' Gain & 2AM's Jo Kwon and SG Wannabe's Lee Seok-hun & host Kim Na-young appeared as two new couples. The episode achieved Season II's highest rating, and Gain and Jo Kwon were announced to be a permanent couple.
- Original couple
- Additional couples
- Jung Yong Hwa & Seohyun (Ep 40-91)
- Lee Seok-hun & Kim Na-young (Ep 21)
- Lee Sun-ho & Hwang Woo-seul-hye (ep 32-42)
- Nichkhun & Victoria (ep 52-91)
Season three officially begins on April 9, with two additional couples upon the departure of Yonghwa & Seohyun, as well as a new format. Park Hwi-sun and K.Will are added for Season 3 to the cast as MCs.
- Original couples
- Additional couples
- Original couples
- Julien Kang & Yoon Se-ah (Ep 1-27)
- Hwang Kwanghee & Han Sunhwa (Ep 2-34)
- Lee Joon & Oh Yeon-seo (Ep 3-23)
- Jung Jin-woon & Go Joon-hee (Ep 24-54)
- Jo Jung-chi & Jung-in (Ep 28-54)
- Lee Tae-min & Son Na-eun (Ep 35-71)
- Yoon Han & Lee So-yeon (Ep 55-81)
- Jung Joon-young & Jeong Yu-mi (Ep 55-89)
- Jang Wooyoung & Park Se-young (Ep 72-106)
- Namgung Min & Hong Jin-young (Ep 82-131)
- Hong Jong-hyun & Kim Yura (Ep 91-131)
- Song Jae-rim & Kim So-eun (Ep 107-145)
- Henry Lau & Ye-won (Ep 132-145)
- Lee Jong-hyun & Gong Seung-yeon (Ep 132-156)
- Yook Sungjae & Joy (Ep 146-)
- Oh Min-suk & Kang Ye-won (Ep 146-)
- Kwak Si-yang & Kim So-yeon (Ep 157-)
In late March 2010, MBC stopped broadcast of new episodes due to labour strikes, with repeats airing instead. This event, compounded with the ROKS Cheonan sinking incident, which caused cancellation of most variety shows at the time, resulted in a backlog of footage for the couples Jo Kwon & Gain and Yonghwa & Seohyun. This resulted in the contents of their latest episodes being of footage recorded some months previously, rather than the normal 1–2 weeks of the original.
During Lee Joon & Oh Yeon-seo's season 4 tenure (broadcasting from September 2012 through February 2013), Oh Yeon-seo was observed meeting in public with Lee Jang-woo, her male co-star from the drama series, Here Comes Mr. Oh. When pictures and videos were released in January 2013, media and WGM fans surmised Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Jang-woo, formerly of WGM (Season 3), were in a romantic relationship. Because Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Joon were in the midst of filming WGM at the time this news was released, the integrity of their virtual marriage was questioned by fans. The negative reaction was further exacerbated by Oh Yeon-seo's multiple declarations of romantic interest in Lee Joon (e.g. as her "ideal type" and wanting to meet with him outside of filming). This backlash and perceived broken trust resulted in fans voicing their desire for Oh Yeon-Seo to exit WGM. Shortly after the rumors of Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Jang-woo's relationship surfaced, Lee Joon publicly expressed his frustration about not having his voice heard, with online fans suggesting it was due to his overbearing workload and/or Oh Yeon-seo's alleged relationship with Lee Jang-woo. A few weeks later, Lee Joon and Oh Yeon-seo ended their tenure on WGM.
MBC aired a new show based on We Got Married. The emphasis of the show was described as a shift from married life to the dating period. The head producer of Pit-a-Pat Shake was the original producer of We Got Married, when couples such as Seo In-young & Crown J and Shin Ae & Alex aired. The success of the earliest and most memorable couples gave people high hopes for the pilot. A Lunar Year Special was filmed and aired as the pilot episode.
The female idols in the spin-off Pit-a-Pat Shake were KARA's Seungyeon, After School's Lizzy, SISTAR's Hyorin, and SECRET's Sunhwa. Super Junior's Sungmin was partnered with Hyorin. MBLAQ's Lee Joon was paired with Lizzy, actor Lee Tae Sung with Seungyeon and comedian Park Heeson with Sunhwa.
The Chinese version of We Got Married paired Korean and Chinese celebrities. Two out of three pairings were international: T-ara's Hyomin and Super Junior's Kyuhyun. It was produced by MBC to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of South Korea’s diplomatic ties with China. It aired as a Valentine's Day special in China on an entertainment channel of Shanghai Media Group and on MBC on 25 February but with only the Korean segments.
A global edition spinoff of the widely popular We Got Married, get to see how the on-screen virtual marriage between idol celebrities from different countries work out through weekly missions and candid interviews. Couples are paired from Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
We Are In Love
The licensed remake of popular Korean Variety Show We Got Married, titled “We Are In Love” was broadcast starting on April 19 2015. It has the same basic format except that the couples are not 'married' but 'dating'. This change was made in order to present a more realistic story in which couples first must be in love to form the basis of marriage and then get married.
The show's second season is scheduled for a grand premiere in mid-April 2016. All of the episodes will be produced before the premiere
- Choi Siwon of Super Junior & Chinese fashion model Liu Wen
- Taiwanese Actress Ruby Lin & Actor Ren Zhong
- Chinese Singer Kimi Qiao & Actress Xu Lu
Awards and nominations
|2008||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Brand Award||Hwayobi||Won|
|Kim Hyun-joong and Hwangbo||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Won|
|2009||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Kim Yong-jun||Won|
|Special Award||Jo Hyeong-gii||Won|
|3rd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Couple Award||Kim Yong-jun and Hwang Jung-eum||Won|
|2010||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Couple Award||Jo Kwon and Gain||Won|
|Best Newcomer Award||Won|
|Popularity Award||Jung Yong-hwa and Seohyun||Won|
|Nichkhun and Victoria||Won|
|Bugs Music Awards||Best Variety Star (Bronze)||Jo Kwon||Won|
|2011||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Eunjung||Won|
|Excellence Award||Park So-hyun||Won|
|Best MC Award||Park Mi-sun||Won|
|2012||MBC Entertainment Awards||Popularity Award||Kang So-ra and Leeteuk||Won|
|Best Newcomer Award||Hwang Kwanghee||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Julien Kang and Yoon Se-ah||Nominated|
|Hwang Kwanghee and Han Sunhwa||Nominated|
|Lee Joon and Oh Yeon-seo||Nominated|
|2013||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Jeong Yu-mi||Won|
|Star of the Year||Taemin||Won|
|Excellence Award||Lee So-yeon||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Lee Taemin and Son Na-eun||Nominated|
|2014||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Couple Award||Song Jae-rim and Kim So-eun||Won|
|New Star Award||Namgung Min||Won|
|Best Newcomer Award||Nominated|
|Star of the Year||Won|
|Excellence Award||Hong Jin-young||Won|
|Entertainers' Choice for Most Desired Variety Show||We Got Married||Won|
|Top Excellence Award||Park Mi-sun||Won|
|2015||MBC Entertainment Awards||New Star Award||Kwak Si-yang||Won|
|Popularity Award for Variety Show||Oh Min-suk||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Kwak Si-yang and Kim So-yeon||Nominated|
|Oh Min-suk and Kang Ye-won||Nominated|
|Yook Sungjae and Joy||Won|
|Top Excellence Award for Variety Show||Kang Ye-won||Nominated|
- "한국일보: PD가 말하는 '우리 결혼했어요'의 진실 혹은 거짓" Hankooki News. 9 July 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- "New stars join ‘We Got Married’ show". Korea JoongAng Daily. 3 January 2014.
- "Hong Jin Young and Nam Goong Min meet for the first time on 'We Got Married'". allkpop. 22 March 2014.
- "‘우결’ 조권 가인, MBC 파업 중 발리行 가능했던 이유? (We Got Married continues to Bali, Indonesia despite Labor Strike)" Nate News. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- MBC, 설특집 ‘우결’ 스핀오프 제작…연애판 '우결' 나온다 (We Got Married Spin-Off)" Naver News. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-01 (Korean)
- 한승연·리지·효린·한선화, 우결 연애판 두근두근'출연 [Lizzy, Sunhwa, Hyorin, and Seungyeon confirmed for We Got Married spin-off]. Naver News (in Korean). 6 January 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "우결 스핀오프 두근두근 흔들려 성민-효린 국립극장 촬영 완료 (Hyorin's Pit-a-pat Shake partner revealed to be Super Junior's Sungmin)" Nate News. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-29 (Korean)
- Kil, Hye Sung (15 February 2012). "Chinese version of WGM, which stars T-ara’s Hyomin and Super Junior’s Kyuhyun, airs in Korea". Star News. Retrieved 1 May 2012.