We Heart It
|Available in||English, Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Swedish, Italian, Indonesian, Greek, Polish, Russian, Turkish, Thai, Finnish, Norwegian, Romanian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and more|
|Created by||Fabio Giolito|
We Heart It is an image-based social network for inspiring images. We Heart It describes itself as "A home for your inspiration" and a place to "Organize and share the things you love." Users can collect (or "heart") their favorite images to share with friends and organize into collections. Users can access the site through a web browser or We Heart It's iOS and Android mobile apps.
We Heart It was founded in 2008 by Fabio Giolito, a native of Brazil. He started the site as a side project around the idea of "hearting" photos and saving them for sharing with friends. What started as a tool for himself and friends, the product grew organically from there. When growth began to surge, Fabio brought on co-founder Bruno Zanchet to help focus on infrastructure. The two took on some seed funding and the site became an incorporated business in California in 2011.
In May 2014, We Heart It rolled out its first batch of native, in-stream ads. Early advertisers include Old Navy, Hollister, JCPenney, and Candie's. A small icon above the image indicates which are ads. Today, other advertisers include Victoria's Secret, Starbucks, and Macy's.
In January 2016, We Heart It announced a video content partnership with Popular TV.
We Heart It is a visual platform that supports still images, animated GIFs, and video.
New users can join via email, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Users can access the site through a normal web browser or through the site's official mobile iOS app for iPhone, iPod or iPad and Android app. New content can be shared using an official Heart Button bookmarklet or Heart It buttons on a webpage. Users can share content directly on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr. It is also possible to find friends from Facebook and Twitter.
We Heart It also offers follow icons, live widgets, and share buttons for users who want to incorporate We Heart It on their website or blog.
We Heart It is also known for its positive community, since there are no features for commenting, users feel more comfortable posting content since it will not receive negative comments as it might on other social networks.
In December 2015, the companion app Easel was released. With Easel, users can create custom images with quotes, filters, and colors to share on We Heart It or other social media apps.
In December 2013, We Heart It reached 25 million monthly users. Four out of five of the site’s over 25 million users are under 24 years old, and more than 70 percent are female. We Heart It has an average user age of 19.
We Heart It is gaining over 1 million new users each month, 2/3 of whom are registering on mobile devices. On average, We Heart It members spend more than 16.5 minutes on the site at a time. The average mobile app users opens the app over 25 times per month.
In March 2015, We Heart It introduced a new postcard feature allowing its 30 million registered users to message one another with images.
In 2015, We Heart It signed YouTube stars the Merrell Twins, Vanessa and Veronica Merrell, on as Creative Directors.
- Perez, Sarah. "We Heart It, The Image-Sharing Site Used By 40 Million Teens, Launches Its Second App, Easel". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "We Heart It | About". Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Shontell, Alyson. "There Is A Very, Very Big Pinterest Competitor With More Than 600 Million Monthly Pageviews". Business Insider. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Shontell, Alyson. "Another Pinterest Has Arrived In Silicon Valley: WeHeartIt Snags $8 Million With 20 Million Uniques". Business Insider. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Taylor, Colleen. "We Heart It, The Social Photo Phenom That’s Quietly Amassed 20M Monthly Users, Nabs $8M Funding". Techcrunch. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Taylor, Colleen. "Hands-On With The Revamped iOS App For We Heart It, The Feel-Good Social Photo Site". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Gannes, Liz. "We Heart It, Image Site That’s a Favorite of Young Ladies, Raises $8M". All Things D. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Alexa Statistics Summary for weheartit.com". Alexa. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- Wagner, Kurt. "With Nearly 30 Million Users, We Heart It Tests Loyalty With Ads". Mashable. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- Ben, Frederick. "Popular Teams With We Heart It, Brings Video To App". Mediapost. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "We Heart It | Heart Button". Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "We Heart It | Goodies". Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Ray, Mitt. "How to Get Started With We Heart It [Complete Guide]". Yahoo! Small Business Advisor. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Jones, Stacy. "The Most Popular Social Network You've Never Heard Of--Until Now". Fast Company. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Calimlim, Aldrin. "We Heart It puts heart and soul into Apple Watch". App Advice. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Perez, Sarah. "We Heart It, The Image-Sharing Site Used By 40 Million Teens, Launches Its Second App, Easel". TechCrunch. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- Taylor, Colleen. "Now With 25M Monthly Users, Social Photo Startup We Heart It Partners With Teen Vogue & Others". TechCrunch. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Hockenson, Lauren. "With more than 25M users, We Heart It has found a niche with girls under 24". GigaOm. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- Schallau, April. "App Provides Positive Way For Users to Interact". WomensForum. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Church, Jessica (27 June 2013). "We Heart It Surpasses 20 Million Monthly Users Mark via 100% Organic Growth" (Press release). San Francisco: Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Gregoire, Carolyn (30 January 2013). "Inspiring Websites: The 10 Happiest Places On The Internet". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Davis, Jennifer. "The Voice Winner Danielle Bradbery on Record Deals, Cupcakes, and Tweeting Hunter Hayes". InStyle. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- "Play Picks Apps - Our Best Apps of 2013". Google Play. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- Longwell, Todd. "Social Network We Heart It Signs Merrell Twins as Creative Directors". VideoInk. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "We Heart It". iTunes App Store.