We Know Where You Fucking Live
|"We Know Where You Fucking Live"|
|Single by Marilyn Manson|
|from the album Heaven Upside Down|
|Released||September 11, 2017|
|Label||Loma Vista Recordings|
|Marilyn Manson singles chronology|
"We Know Where You Fucking Live" (stylized in capital letters) is a song by American rock band Marilyn Manson, released on September 11, 2017 as the lead single from their tenth studio album, Heaven Upside Down (2017).
Composition and style
"We Know Where You Fucking Live" is an industrial rock song, and was the first song recorded by Marilyn Manson and Tyler Bates for Heaven Upside Down. Bates later said: "When Manson and I began to speak again about making a new album, I told him 'If we're doing this again, we're gonna make a completely different record [from The Pale Emperor]. You gotta bring the fire! We gotta fuck some shit up!'. He was, of course, all in for it." The song was composed by Bates just several hours before the pair's first recording session, with Bates calling it a "a great starter for the album. I knew that track was the initial seed that I wanted to plant for him to work from."
It is reminiscent of material released by the band in the late '90s, and features subdued, predominantly electronic verses coupled with a chorus consisting of loud, aggressive guitar riffs and the eponymous vocalists' screamed vocals. Nerdist Industries called the song "fiercely rocking and in-your-face". Manson said that he was "astonished that a record label put [the song] out as the first single", due to its lyrical content, which reference political corruption, drone warfare and global surveillance. The track was debuted live during the first date of the Heaven Upside Down Tour, which occurred on July 20 in Budapest.
Release and promotion
Prior to its release, the song was advertised with a series of fly poster campaigns at various music festivals throughout Europe, including the Reading and Leeds Festivals. These campaigns were financed by Loma Vista Recordings. The song premiered on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 show on September 11, immediately after which it was made available via streaming platforms.
The music video for the song was directed by Bill Yukich and Perou, and was posted onto YouTube on September 15. The clip opens with a parental advisory warning for graphic violence and sexual content, and begins with a quintet of nuns walking down a suburban street during a solar eclipse. The nuns tear off their habits, revealing them to be wearing latex undergarments and leather dominatrix gear, and carrying various handguns, assault rifles and rocket launchers. The group then encounters Manson and, after an initial standoff, proceed to blow up a van. The group then invades the home of a family, and subjects the husband and wife to a violent sexual assault. Sydney Gore of The Fader has hypothesized that the video is a metaphor for religious extremism.
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Heaven Upside Down.
- Recorded at Abattoir Studios, Studio City, California
- Songs of Golgotha (BMI)/Box Cutter Music. (BMI), under exclusive licence to Loma Vista Recordings and Caroline International
- Marilyn Manson – vocals
- Tyler Bates – instrumentation, engineering, recording, production, mixing
- Robert Carranza – mixing
- Gil Sharone – drums
- Joanne Higginbottom – assistant engineer
- Brian Lucey – mastering (at Magic Garden Mastering, Los Angeles, California)
|German Alternative Singles Chart (Deutsche Alternative Charts)||4|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||41|
- Mervis, Scott (September 15, 2017). "Marilyn Manson on new album: 'I'm chaos. I'm here to disrupt things.'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Cirisano, Tatiana (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Knows 'Where You F--king Live' on New Single: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- De Ville, Adam (September 25, 2017). ""You Gotta Bring The Fire": An Interview with Tyler Bates". Collide Art and Culture Magazine. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- DeVille, Chris (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson – "WE KNOW WHERE YOU FUCKING LIVE"". Stereogum. Eldridge Industries. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Reed, Ryan (September 15, 2017). "Watch Marilyn Manson, Nuns Terrorize Suburbia in Disturbing New Video". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Rossignol, Derrick (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson debuts brutal song, "We Know Where You Fucking Live"". Nerdist Industries. Legendary Entertainment. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Childers, Chad (September 15, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Unleashes Mayhem on Serene Neighborhood in NSFW 'We Know Where You F-ing Live' Video". Loudwire. Townsquare Media. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Kreps, Daniel (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Details New Album 'Heaven Upside Down,' Drops New Song". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Gaca, Anna (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Releases Single "We Know Where You Fucking Live," Announces New Album Heaven Upside Down". Spin. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Rosenberg, Axl (September 11, 2017). ""We Know Where You Fucking Live": Marilyn Manson's New Song is Pretty Decent". MetalSucks. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Marszalek, Julian (September 5, 2017). "Marilyn Manson teases his return with new poster". Gigwise. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Munro, Scott (September 5, 2017). "Marilyn Manson teases new music in poster campaign". Metal Hammer. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Yoo, Noah (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Shares New Song "We Know Where You Fucking Live": Listen". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Bowman, Lisa (September 11, 2017). "Marilyn Manson releases new single 'We Know Where You Fucking Live' and announces new album". NME. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Reiff, Corbin (September 16, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Leads A Squadron Of Trigger-Happy Nuns In His 'We Know Where You F*cking Live' Video". Uproxx. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Metal Hammer Staff (September 15, 2017). "Marilyn Manson releases NSFW video for We Know Where You Fucking Live". Metal Hammer. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Gore, Sydney (September 16, 2017). "Marilyn Manson Gets Religious Revenge In His Video For "We Know Where You Fucking Live"". The Fader. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- "Booklet". Heaven Upside Down (liner notes). Marilyn Manson. Los Angeles, United States: Loma Vista Recordings. 2017. LVR00229.
- "Deutsche Alternative Charts - Week 42 / Year 2017 / Category: Single". Deutsche Alternative Charts. Archived from the original on October 17, 2017. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- "Marilyn Manson Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 4, 2017.