We Need a Little Christmas
In the musical, the song is performed after Mame has lost her fortune in the Wall Street Crash of 1929, and decides she, her young nephew Patrick, and her two household servants "need a little Christmas now" to cheer them up. The original lyrics include the line, "But, Auntie Mame, it's one week past Thanksgiving Day now!" Since the time the song was written the phenomenon of Christmas creep has resulted in the normal holiday season beginning much earlier than it once did, which has led to more recent recordings changing the line to, "But, Auntie Mame, it's one week from Thanksgiving Day now!"
- Percy Faith with His Orchestra and Chorus (1966)
(Christmas Is... Percy Faith)
- The New Christy Minstrels (1966)
(Christmas with the Christies)
- Skitch Henderson & The Tonight Show Orchestra (1966)
(Broadway Tonight! Skitch Henderson & The Tonight Show Orchestra Play Music From "Mame")
- Johnny Mathis (1986)
(Christmas Eve with Johnny Mathis)
- The Muppets (1987)
(A Muppet Family Christmas)
- Bugs Bunny & Friends with Daffy Duck (1994)
(Have Yourself a Looney Tunes Christmas)
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir with Angela Lansbury (2001)
(later appeared on the choir's 2006 album, The Wonder of Christmas)
- Legacy Five (2007)
- Kimberly Locke (2007)
- Glee Cast (2010)
(Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album)
- Ages and Ages (2012)
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Percy Faith version|
|Hot Adult Contemporary Recurrents||25|
|Kimberley Locke version|
|Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||19|
|Glee Cast version|
|Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||15|
- Crump, William D. (15 September 2001). The Christmas Encyclopedia, 3d ed. McFarland. p. 436. ISBN 978-1-4766-0573-9.
- Collins, Ace (2010). Stories Behind the Greatest Hits of Christmas. Zondervan. p. 183. ISBN 978-0-310-32795-0.
- Percy Faith & his Orchestra. "Christmas Is...Percy Faith". Columbia. November 1966.
- The New Christy Minstrels. "Christmas with the Christies". Columbia. 1966.
- Skitch Henderson & The Tonight Show Orchestra. "Broadway Tonight! Skitch Henderson & The Tonight Show Orchestra Play Music From 'Mame'". Columbia. July 1966.
- Johnny Mathis. "Christmas Eve with Johnny Mathis". Columbia. 23 September 1986.
- The Muppets. "A Muppet Family Christmas". The Jim Henson Company/Disney. 1987.
- Bugs Bunny & Friends. "Have Yourself a Merry Looney Tunes Christmas". Kid Rhino. 1994.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir. "We Need a Little Christmas...Christmas Special". 8 May 2015.
- Legacy Five. "Little Christmas". Daywind. 18 December 2007.
- Kimberley Locke. "Christmas". Curb. 6 November 2007.
- Glee. "Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album". Columbia/Epic/Sony Music Entertainment. 16 November 2010.
- Various Artists. "Holidays Rule". Hear Music. 30 October 2012.