We Still Kill the Old Way
|We Still Kill the Old Way|
|Directed by||Elio Petri|
|Produced by||Giuseppe Zaccariello|
|Written by||Jean Curtelin
|Starring||Gian Maria Volontè|
|Music by||Luis Enriquez Bacalov|
|Edited by||Ruggero Mastroianni|
We Still Kill the Old Way (Italian: A ciascuno il suo) is a 1967 Italian crime film directed by Elio Petri. It was entered into the 1967 Cannes Film Festival where it won the award for Best Screenplay. It is based on the novel To Each His Own by Leonardo Sciascia.
The death threats against the local pharmacist Arturo Manno do not surprise any of his friends because he is a known womanizer in his small town. They do not take him seriously until Manno, together with his friend Dr. Antonio Roscio are killed during a hunting party early morning. Suspicion falls on a father and two brothers of a 16-year-old girl who supposedly had relations with Manno. But Professor Laurana, who had seen one of the letters of extortion, does not believe in the guilt of these illiterates from a rundown neighborhood since the letters of the anonymous notes have been made with clippings from the Osservatore Romano - a Christian newspaper that has few subscribers in the area.
He asks his lawyer friend Rosello to take care of the prisoners, and begins his own research, also motivated by his secret love for the widow of the murdered man - Luisa Roscio. His trail leads him to Palermo, but he realizes that Luisa Roscio does not reciprocate his feelings and that his detective work has some incomprehension. He only briefly survives the isolation from Luisa because he is murdered and his body disappears. Life in his native village continues unchanged, supported by the close link between Luisa Roscio and the lawyer Rosello.
- Gian Maria Volontè - Prof. Paolo Laurana
- Irene Papas - Luisa Roscio
- Gabriele Ferzetti - Avvocato Rosello
- Salvo Randone - Prof. Roscio
- Luigi Pistilli - Arturo Manno
- Laura Nucci - Roscio's mother
- Mario Scaccia - Curato di Sant'Amo
- Luciana Scalise - Rosina
- Leopoldo Trieste - Il deputato comunista
- Giovanni Pallavicino - Ragana
- Franco Tranchina - Dr. Antonio Roscio
- Ana Rivero - Arturo's wife
- Orio Cannarozzo - Ispettore di polizia La Marca
- Carmelo Oliviero - Arciprete Rosello
- Carlo Ferro
- Tanina Zappala
- Valentino Macchi
- Michele Vannucci
- Aldo Cascino - Police commissary
- "Festival de Cannes: We Still Kill the Old Way". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 8 March 2009.
|This article related to an Italian film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s crime film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|