We Want Smoke
|We Want Smoke|
|Compilation album by|
|Released||October 13, 2017|
|Hustle Gang chronology|
|Singles from We Want Smoke|
Hustle Gang Presents We Want Smoke, commonly referred to as We Want Smoke, is a compilation album by recording artists of American record label Grand Hustle Records, released under the namesake Hustle Gang. The compilation was issued on October 13, 2017, by the label, under exclusive license to Roc Nation. American rapper T.I., head of the label, first revealed plans for a label collaborative album in 2013. The compilation produced three singles—"Game 7", "Do No Wrong" and "Friends".
The album features appearances from T.I. himself, along Grand Hustle signees B.o.B, London Jae, Tokyo Jetz, Translee, Yung Booke, RaRa, Young Dro, Trae tha Truth, Brandon Rossi, 5ive Mics and GFMBRYYCE. The production on the album was handled by 30 Roc, Stroud, J. Wells, Lex Luger, Nottz, Sho Nuff, Trev Case and Wheezy, among others. The album is dedicated to T.I.'s deceased friends and associates Big Phil, Peanut da Don and Doe B.
In March 2013, T.I. revealed plans to release a compilation album showcasing the artists on his Grand Hustle label. In April 2013, Grand Hustle released the intended first single for the album; the song, titled "Memories Back Then", features T.I. and B.o.B alongside Kendrick Lamar and Kris Stephens. On April 4, 2013 T.I. revealed the label would release a mixtape titled G.D.O.D. (Get Dough or Die), during the first week of May 2013, which would precede the compilation album. The mixtape was released on May 7, featuring 20 tracks and contributions from Grand Hustle artists T.I., Mitchelle'l, B.o.B, Young Dro, Big Kuntry King, Trae tha Truth, D.O.P.E., Travis Scott, Chip, Kris Stephens, Mac Boney, Doe B and Shad da God.
In an August 2014 interview with MTV, T.I. revealed plans to release the Grand Hustle compilation in December, following his ninth solo album Paperwork: "What's holding up the Hustle Gang project is that we have some new additions to the mix, and we didn't wanna put out the project out without including or allowing those new additions to be part of it. Maybe we'll do a stroke of midnight release on New Years. We did that with Fuck da City Up and it did well, so maybe we'll try that again." On September 19, 2014, the label released the second installment to their G.D.O.D. (Get Dough or Die) series, titled G.D.O.D. II. Aside from Grand Hustle recording artists, the mixtape features additional appearances from Iggy Azalea, Meek Mill, Young Thug, Troy Ave, Watch The Duck, Yo Gotti, Trey Songz and Rich Homie Quan, among others. On September 19, 2016, Grand Hustle released the mixtape H.G.O.E. (Hustle Gang Over Errrrythang), featuring guest appearances from Young Thug, Chocolate Droppa, Future, Migos, Lotto Savage, Shad da God, Kap G and more.
In April 2017, American rappers 5ive Mics, Tokyo Jetz, RaRa, Translee and London Jae, were all revealed to be new members of the Grand Hustle roster.
Release and promotion
On March 15, 2017, T.I. announced the Hustle Gang concert tour. The Grand Hustle tour began on April 26 in Mobile, Alabama, going through 36 shows across the country before they wrapped up on June 11 in Jacksonville, Florida. In late March, Hustle Gang hosted an after-hours brunch and vibe event, at South by Southwest (SXSW), titled The Hustle Gang Experience, powered by Beer N Tacos & Chariot. Headed by T.I. and Trae Tha Truth, the showcase gave a platform for the new Hustle Gang roster to show their skills. The night kicked off with a performance by T.I.'s son, Domani Harris, with music from his recently released project Constellation, followed by RaRa with songs such as "FWM" off his debut project I Am What I Am. Tokyo Jetz went on to perform her viral hit "DM", Yung Booke and London Jae performed "H.I.T.V." and finishing with Trae Tha Truth performing records like "Swangin" and new music from T.I.'s forthcoming album.
On June 27, 2017, HotNewHipHop interviewed Grand Hustle artists, where they discussed their compilation project and how they all met T.I. On June 28, 2017, a song titled "Game 7" was released as the first single from Grand Hustle's compilation album We Want Smoke. The song features verses from T.I., RaRa and Rossi. The albums second single "Do No Wrong", was released in July and features verses from GFMBRYYCE, Young Dro and T.I. The albums third single "Friends", was released with an accompanying music video, on September 8. "Friends" features Hustle Gang rappers T.I., RaRa, Brandon Rossi, Tokyo Jetz, Trae tha Truth and Young Dro. On September 27, Hustle Gang appeared on the 107 Jamz radio show with Big Boy Chill, where they spoke on the compilation album. On September 29, 2017, T.I. unveiled the compilation's album cover art and revealed the track-listing. The album was also made available for pre-order the same day.
|We Want Smoke|
|1.||"Want Smoke" (featuring London Jae, Yung Booke, Young Dro and T.I.)||Mitch Mula||4:22|
|2.||"Friends" (featuring T.I., RaRa, Brandon Rossi, Tokyo Jetz, Trae tha Truth and Young Dro)||4:05|
|3.||"Game 7" (featuring T.I., Brandon Rossi and RaRa)||3:31|
|4.||"That Bag" (featuring Young Thug, T.I., Young Dro and Trev Case)||Trev Case||3:50|
|5.||"Trappin' on Forgis" (featuring T.I., Lex, Trae tha Truth and London Jae)||4:04|
|6.||"Go Off" (featuring B.o.B, T.I., Yung Booke, Tokyo Jetz, Trae tha Truth and Young Dro)||Sho Nuff||3:40|
|7.||"So High" (featuring Peanut da Don, London Jae, Young Dro and T.I.)||Nottz||3:28|
|8.||"Gateway" (featuring Translee, Yung Booke, Tokyo Jetz and Ink)||3:32|
|9.||"My Block" (featuring T.I., London Jae, Young Dro, B.o.B and 5ive Mics)||30 Roc||3:14|
|10.||"Do No Wrong" (featuring GFMBRYYCE, Young Dro and T.I.)||4:05|
|11.||"Still Young" (featuring B.o.B, Translee and T.I.)||Turbo||3:38|
|12.||"Talk My Shit" (featuring Peanut da Don, Trae tha Truth and Young Dro)||Stroud||2:58|
|13.||"Who Gone Check Me" (featuring GFMBRYYCE, Translee, Yung Booke, Young Dro and T.I.)||Turbo||4:06|
|14.||"Sometimes" (featuring T.I. and Young Dro)||RaRa||3:37|
|15.||"Weight" (featuring Translee, Trae tha Truth, Kim Minnis, Tokyo Jetz and Young Dro)||Ben Wogu||4:08|
|16.||"Roll the Dice" (featuring RaRa, GFMBRYYCE, Translee and Brandon Rossi)||Lex Luger||2:43|
|17.||"Trenches Reloaded" (featuring Peanut da Don and T.I.)||DJ Money||4:46|
- Sample credits
- "Game 7" contains elements from "Forever My Lady" performed by Jodeci, written by Albert Joseph Brown III and Donald DeGrate.
- "So High" contains elements from "Ladies" performed by Lee Fields.
- "Do No Wrong" contains elements from "Cevando o Amargo" written by Lupicínio Rodrigues and performed by Adriana Calcanhotto.
- "Weight" contains elements from "Christopher" performed by Eliza Hull, written by Tim Gordine and Eliza Hull.
- "We Want Smoke by Hustle Gang on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- Hunte, Justin (April 5, 2013). "B.o.B. Confirms "Memories Back Then" With Kendrick Lamar As Hustle Gang EP First Single". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "RAP-UP TV: ON SET OF 'MEMORIES BACK THEN' WITH T.I., KENDRICK LAMAR, & B.O.B". Rap-Up. 11 March 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Hunte, Justin (April 5, 2013). "T.I. Promises Hustle Gang's "G.D.O.D." Mixtape Within A Month". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Hustle Gang – G.D.O.D. (Mixtape)". 2DopeBoyz. 2013-05-07. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Mixtape: Hustle Gang "G.D.O.D."". Complex. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Hustle Gang - G.D.O.D. (Get Dough Or Die) // Free Mixtape @". Datpiff.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "T.I. Readies 'Paperwork' Single with Pharrell". rap-up.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Hustle Gang – G.D.O.D. II // Free Mixtape". DatPiff. Idle Media Inc. 2014-09-19. Retrieved 2014-09-21.
- "Hustle Gang - H.G.O.E. (Hustle Gang Over Errrrythang)". hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "T.I., Young Dro and the Hustle Gang Family Give Fans a Sneak Preview of New Music in ATL [Pics] - The Source". thesource.com. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "T.I. Announces "Hustle Gang" Tour". hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "T.I. Reveals Dates For Hustle Gang Tour". billboard.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Tip "T.I." Harris, Trae Tha Truth & Hustle Gang Shut Down SXSW with After Hours Showcase and Brunch Event". bossip.com. 21 March 2017. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "T.I. Brings Hustle Gang Tour to New York City, Talks Tragedies Sparking Politically Charged EP 'Us or Else'". billboard.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Grand Hustle Talk Their Compilation Album & More". hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Hustle Gang - Game 7". hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- [dead link]
- "T.I., RaRa and Brandon Rossi Team Up for New Song 'Game 7' - XXL". XXL Mag. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Hustle Gang - Do No Wrong Feat. GFMBRYYCE, Young Dro & T.I." hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- ""Friends (feat. T.I., Rara, Brandon Rossi, Tokyo Jetz, Trae tha Truth & Young Dro)" from Friends (feat. T.I., Rara, Brandon Rossi, Tokyo Jetz, Trae tha Truth & Young Dro) - Single by Hustle Gang on iTunes". apple.com. 8 September 2017. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Hustle Gang Premieres New Video 'Friends'". BET.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Hustle Gang Drop Off A New Video For "Friends"". hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Big Boy Chill Chats with Hustle Gang about 'We Want Smoke'". 107 JAMZ. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "Hustle Gang Share 'We Want Smoke' Album Tracklist, Release Date - XXL". XXL Mag. Retrieved 4 October 2017.
- "PRODUCED BY ME". Twitter. Retrieved 12 October 2017.