We Were Evergreen
|Genres||Indie pop, French pop music, Folk music|
|Members||Michael Liot, Fabienne Débarre, William Serfass|
Evergreen (previously known as We Were Evergreen) are a French alternative indie-electro-pop trio. The band formed in Paris in 2008 but have been based in London, UK, since 2011. They've been described as "shape-shifting pop blend[ing] folk melodies, electro beats and exotic rhythms". Their debut album, Towards, was released on 5 May 2014.
The band was formed in 2008 in Paris by then-literature-students Michael Liot (vocals, strummed instruments) and Fabienne Débarre (vocals, keyboards, xylophone). They were very quickly joined by William Serfass (vocals, percussions, bass, electric guitar). After releasing two self-produced EPs (We Were Evergreen, Flings) in France, they moved to London where they released a third EP, Leeway. Since then, they have toured with the likes of Metronomy, Goldfrapp, Slow Club, King Charles, Michael Kiwanuka and Villagers. 2014 saw them play at Glastonbury, Reading, Leeds and Lovebox, among other festivals, as well as Solidays in France and Parkpop in the Netherlands.
Evergreen wrote and recorded the soundtrack to 2013 French film Fonzy. The Michael Creange and WEKEED remix of their song "Baby Blue" was featured in Kim Chapiron's film La Crème de la Crème as well as in the launch video for the Nokia Lumia 625.
- We Were Evergreen - 2010
- Flings - 2010
- Leeway - 2013
- Aux Echos - 2017
- Towards - 2014
Towards was released on 5 May 2014 by Island Records in the UK and Because Music in France, Belgium and Switzerland. It was recorded and mixed in Brixton's Iguana Studios, with Charlie Andrew (producer of Alt-J, Sivu and Marika Hackman).
The album was described as "smart pop that keeps its charm" (Clash), "considered but playful" (The 405), "a sublime, varied LP that’s a perfect accompaniment to the impending sun-pecked skies" (music OMH).
The first three singles from the album were 'Daughters', 'False Start' and 'Best Thing'. The video for 'Daughters', directed by Dominique Rocher, is a take on the Danaids myth based on overlapping choreography, and shot in a single take as well as a single room.
"Towards" was released on December 2d, 2014 in the USA via Minty Fresh.
- "SXSW Music - Artist Profile: We Were Evergreen". SXSW Music. 21 February 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- "WE WERE EVERGREEN | Village Underground". villageunderground.co.uk. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- ""Fonzy" : la B.O. du remake signée We Were Evergreen !". chartsinfrance.net. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "Debut Album from We Were Evergreen". Indie Shuffle. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "We Were Evergreen - Towards | Reviews | Clash Magazine". clashmusic.com. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "We Were Evergreen - Towards l Album Review l The 405". thefourohfive.com. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "We Were Evergreen – Towards | Album Reviews | musicOMH". musicomh.com. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "We Were Evergreen Unveil Video For New Single 'Daughters' | Slatethedisco.com". slatethedisco.com. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Steffen Hung. "LesCharts.com: We Were Evergreen discography". lescharts.com. Retrieved 11 August 2016.