We Were Soldiers Once… and Young
|Author||Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore (Ret.) and Joseph L. Galloway|
|October 20, 1992|
|Media type||Hardcover and Trade Paperback|
|LC Class||DS557.8.I18 M66 1992|
We Were Soldiers Once… and Young is a 1992 book by Lt. Gen. Harold G. "Hal" Moore (Ret.) and war journalist Joseph L. Galloway about the Vietnam War. It focuses on the role of the First and Second Battalions of the 7th Cavalry Regiment in the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley, the United States' first large-unit battle of the Vietnam War; previous engagements involved small units and patrols (squad, platoon, and company sized units). It was adapted into the 2002 film We Were Soldiers.
The book was a New York Times best-seller. David Halberstam called it "A stunning achievement—paper and words with the permanence of marble. I read it and thought of The Red Badge of Courage, the highest compliment I can think of." General H. Norman Schwarzkopf said "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young is a great book of military history, written the way military history should be written." The book is currently on the Marine Corps Commandant's Reading List for Career Level Enlisted and has been since at least 1993.
- Moore, Harold G. & Galloway, Joseph L. (October 20, 1992). We Were Soldiers Once… And Young (Hardcover ed.). Random House Publishing Group. p. 432. ISBN 0679411585.
- Moore, Harold G. & Galloway, Joseph L. (April 15, 2002). We Were Soldiers Once… And Young (Trade Paperback ed.). Harper Perennial. p. 528. ISBN 0060013257.
- Moore, Harold G. & Galloway, Joseph L. (August 1, 2002). We Were Soldiers Once… And Young (Hardcover ed.). Thorndike Press. p. 688. ISBN 078624495X.
- Moore, Harold G. & Galloway, Joseph L. (June 29, 2004). We Were Soldiers Once… And Young (Mass Market Paperback ed.). Random House. p. 535. ISBN 0345472640.
- Moore, Harold G. & Galloway, Joseph L. (November 23, 2004). We Were Soldiers Once… And Young (Trade Paperback ed.). Presidio Press. p. 432. ISBN 034547581X.
- "Home Page | We Were Soldiers Once... and Young". LZ X-Ray.com. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "REVISION OF THE COMMANDANTS PROFESSIONAL READING LIST". United States Marine Corps. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "The Commandant's Reading List from MarineParents.com: A Place to Connect & Share". MarineParents.com. Retrieved February 1, 2018.