|Origin||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Genres||Death metal, black metal|
|Labels||The Ajna Offensive, Relapse|
Weapon was a Canadian blackened death metal band, formed by frontman Vetis Monarch in early 2003. Weapon signed with Relapse Records in 2011 and released their label debut, Embers and Revelations, in 2012. Subsequently, Weapon toured North America with Marduk beginning in May 2012.
In October 2012, Weapon and an older United Kingdom band of the same name came to a legal agreement that the latter band would add 'UK' to their band name. Weapon state at their official Facebook page that they own the US, Canadian and UK trademarks on the name, leading the UK band to change their moniker.
The band announced on June 28, 2013 that they had broken up. Since that announcement, Vetis Monarch has said that he has immersed himself in the corporate world and felt that further Weapon albums would only "be a black/death metal record by the numbers", which he felt would be stagnation. He also spoke critically of the general fanbase of heavy metal and the related culture, saying that
90% of metalheads have been some of the dumbest and most ignorant people I have ever met. I no longer wish to be even remotely associated with that brain-dead, gasmasked goat culture in any way shape or form. Not that Weapon ever pandered to that specific bottom-feeding niche, but they’re around, and I felt myself being dumbed down by even hearing these so called 'elitists' have conversations about their patch vests, the latest third rate war metal franchise or the newest oxymoronic 'anticosmic' band ripping off Thomas Karlsson’s words and book cover.
Despite his comments about metal fans, Vetis Monarch proclaimed his ongoing appreciation for metal music.
- Vetis Monarch – guitar, vocals, bass (2003–2013)
- The Disciple – drums (2008–2013)
- Kha Tumos – bass (2009–2013)
- Rom Surtr – guitar (2011–2013)
- Nohttzver – drums (2004–05)
- Kapalyq – bass (2005)
- Menschenfiend – guitar (2007–08)
- Arcan of Death – drums (2007–08)
- Agni Nethra – bass (2008)
- Sabazios Diabolus – bass (2008–09)
- Vileblood Dahcnial – guitar (2009)
- Apostle VIII – guitar (2009–11)
- Within the Flesh of the Satanist (demo, 2004)
- Violated Hejab (EP, 2005)
- Para Bhakti... Salvation (EP, 2008)
- Drakonian Paradigm (2009)
- From the Devil's Tomb (2010)
- Embers and Revelations (2012)
- Naga: Daemonum Praeteritum (Compilation, 2013)
- Henry, Ray (5 November 2012). "Embers and Revelations review". Metal Maniacs. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Weapon Completes Recording New Album - May 30, 2012, Blabbermouth.net, (retrieved November 13, 2012)
- Weapon - Embers and Revelations, Relapse Records, (retrieved November 8, 2012)
- Blackened Death Metal Act WEAPON Sign To Relapse Records; Tour Dates Announced, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, August 10, 2012, (retrieved November 8, 2012)
- Weapon page, Death Metal Insanity zine, (retrieved November 8, 2012)
- Pratt, Greg (16 August 2011). "Edmonton's Weapon sign to Relapse Records". Exclaim!. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Hutch, Luke (19 September 2012). "Weapon interview". Hails & Horns. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Most of you will be aware, there was a legal..., October 23, 2012, accessed on September 10., 2013.
- As some of you may be aware, there was a legal..., October 21, 2012, accessed on September 10., 2013.
- Weapon: Devil's Vanguage, Worm Gear Zine, (retrieved November 8, 2012)
- Pessaro, Fred. "Weapon call it quits". Invisible Oranges. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
And with the those words we announce the end of Weapon. There is no drama surrounding this decision: it is time for us collectively, and more importantly, as individuals, to move onwards and upwards towards other paradigms. We extend our gratitude to all who helped us succeed and of course send a massive “fuck you” to the ones who tried in vain to make us fail.
- Kelly, Kim (13 August 2013). "Weapon’s Paradigm Shift: The Final Interview". Decibel Magazine. Retrieved 17 August 2013.