The Weather Company
1982The Weather Channel) (as |
October 21, 2012 (started using company name)
|Headquarters||300 Interstate N Pkwy, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
The Weather Company is a weather forecasting and information technology company that owns and operates weather.com, intellicast.com, and Weather Underground. The Weather Company is a subsidiary of the Watson & Cloud Platform business unit of IBM.
History and operations
The Weather Company started as The Weather Channel in 1982. In 2012, the company created a broader holding company replaced the word "Channel" with "Company" to better reflect their growing lineup of digital products.
The Weather Company was previously owned by a consortium made up of The Blackstone Group, Bain Capital, and NBCUniversal. That consortium sold The Weather Company's product and technology assets to IBM on January 29, 2016, but retained possession of The Weather Channel cable network until March 2018, when it was sold to Entertainment Studios. As part of the 2016 spin-off, the Bain/Blackstone/NBCUniversal consortium entered into a long-term licensing agreement with IBM for use of its weather data and "The Weather Channel" name and branding.
- Press release (29 January 2016). "IBM Closes Deal to Acquire The Weather Company's Product and Technology Businesses". The Weather Company. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Stelter, Brian (2012-10-21). "Weather Channel's Parent Company Is Renamed". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- Hardy, Quentin (28 October 2015). "IBM to Acquire the Weather Company". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Cao, Jing (28 October 2015). "IBM Agrees to Acquire Weather Channel's Digital Assets". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Littleton, Cynthia (28 October 2015). "Storms Are In, Reality Shows Out as Weather Channel Gets Back to Basics". Variety. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
|This climatology/meteorology–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|