|Original author(s)||John C. Glavin|
|Developer(s)||South River Technologies (originally Riverfront Software)|
|Initial release||December 31, 1997|
v2017 / March 9, 2017
|Operating system||Windows, OS X, Android and iOS|
WebDrive is a drive mapping utility that uses open FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and WebDAV protocols to access remote file servers, and proprietary or vendor-specific Amazon S3, Google Drive, Dropbox, FrontPage and GroupDrive (also by South River Technologies) protocols to access those types of servers as well. WebDrive's features are:
- Data transfer by drag and drop files in Windows Explorer
- Able to execute .exe files including video and audio files
- Able to run WebDrive as a system service when Windows starts
- Mounts drive automatically on system start
- Supports open FTP, FTPS, SFTP, and WebDAV protocols and proprietary or vendor-specific Amazon S3, Google Drive, Dropbox, FrontPage and GroupDrive
- Native support for Windows, OS X, Android and iOS operating systems (the program was originally Windows-only)
History and Use
Though associated with traditional FTP protocols, WebDrive has had a long history of being considered a unique type of FTP client because it made remote folders look like part of the native operating system's file manager rather than display a "two pane" view (a.k.a. an "orthodox file manager") used by most FTP clients. Its publisher claims over 5 million installations today and it remains a popular utility on college campuses and similar organizations with "casual" file transfer needs, but competing file transfer software with similar drive mapping capabilities has appeared in recent years.
- John, Glavin. "Profile of John Glavin". Walker's Research. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Mapping a Network Drive to a WebDAV Directory Using WebDrive". Customer Support. Seapine Software. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "WebDrive". Customer Apps. Amazon Web Services. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "South River releases Version 11 of WebDrive File Access Client". etech7. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Chernicoff, David (19 Oct 2000). "WebDrive Web Development Tool; Using the Character Map Applet". Windows IT Pro. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "WebDrive 7.1". FTP Software Review. Top Ten Reviews. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Purchase WebDrive (Download Statistics)". South River Technologies. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Downloading and Installing WebDrive for Windows". Computing Knowledge Base. Virginia Tech. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Installation Guide for Webdrive 32/64 bit". Network and Communication - Technical Notes. University of Regina. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Using WebDrive on a Windows PC". CITES collaboration and calendaring. University of Illinois. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Popular Alternatives to WebDrive". Alternative To. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "South River Technologies Releases WebDrive for Mac". Applelinks. 18 Sep 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- King, Jr., Bertel (28 Mar 2014). "South River Tech, The Maker Of TitanFTP Server, Brings A Version Of Its Popular WebDrive File Transfer Client To Android". New App(s). Android Police. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "South River Technologies Launches WebDrive (iOS) Mobile App". Digital Journal. 19 Nov 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "NetDrive.exe". Novell Cool Solutions: Question & Answer. Novell. 18 Jun 2002. Retrieved 30 May 2014.