|Founded||May 8, 1893|
|Founder||George A. Stephen|
|Chris Scherzinger (CEO)|
|US$88.88 million (2020)|
Weber Inc. is a publicly traded American manufacturer of charcoal, gas, and electric outdoor grills with related accessories. In 2004, Weber-Stephen acquired some assets of competitor Ducane at a bankruptcy sale. It also owns restaurants and publishes cookbooks. The company was family owned until it sold a majority stake to BDT Capital Partners in 2010. In 2021 it became a publicly traded company.
Weber-Stephen was originally incorporated on May 8, 1893 as Weber Bros. Metal Works.
In 1951, the original round charcoal kettle grill was built by George Stephen Sr., a then part-owner of the sheet metal shop in Chicago who sought to improve on the brazier he had been using to cook with at home. The grill was produced using two sheet metal half-spheres normally used as parts of buoys built in his shop. George's neighbors called it ‘Sputnik‘. Shortly thereafter he began selling the invention, which he called 'George's Barbecue Kettle', for which there was considerable demand.
Because the grill became so successful after he began selling it in 1952, Stephen formed the barbecue division of the Weber Brothers factory. In the late 1950s, Stephen bought out the Weber Brothers factory and became the sole owner, devoting all his professional time to manufacturing and selling the Weber kettle. Soon thereafter, Stephen changed the company's name to Weber-Stephen Products Co.
The Weber-Stephen company manufactures and sells outdoor electric grills, charcoal grills, gas grills, and charcoal smokers.
Weber Grill restaurants
In 1989, the company opened the first Weber Grill Restaurant in Wheeling, Illinois, but in spite of a remodeling in 2000, this location closed in 2010. As of August 2021, four additional locations are open in Lombard, Illinois (opened 1999), River North, Chicago (2002), Schaumburg, Illinois (2005), and Indianapolis (2007).
While a majority share of Weber-Stephen Products LLC was sold to BDT Capital Partners in 2010, the acquisition did not include restaurant operations. While both the restaurants and outdoor cooking equipment maintain the Weber branding, two separate companies now exist. The restaurants remain solely owned by the Stephen family.
Ducane Products Co.
The Ducane Products Company began as the Ducane Brothers Metal Fabricating in 1946. It moved three years later to Little Ferry, New Jersey and manufactured warm air furnaces. In 1968, the name was changed to The Ducane Company and moved the base of operations to Barnwell, South Carolina and n 1975, they started making Ducane gas grills. Ducane filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and was partially acquired by Weber-Stephens at a bankruptcy sale in 2004 for $13.6 million.
Under Weber's leadership, Ducane marketed propane and natural gas grills through big box home improvement and specialty outdoor product stores. In an effort to revamp the Ducane brand, Weber introduced the "Ducane Stainless" (2006) exclusively through Home Depot, the "Ducane Affinity" (2007) and the "Ducane Meridian" (2007) through multiple channels.
In 2021, it was announced that June, a home automation company specializing in kitchen appliances including a "smart" oven, was acquired by Weber for an undisclosed amount. It exists as a “strategic business unit” within Weber. Co-founder Matt Van Horn is the president of June while the company's other co-founder, Nikhil Bhogal, is the senior vice president, technology and connected devices of Weber. Van Horn continued to focus on the June Oven while Bhogal works with Weber R&D programs and new products.
On July 12, 2021 Weber-Stephens Products LLC announced it had filed a Form S-1 with the Securities and Exchange Commission to make a public offering of Class A Shares on the New York Stock Exchange with an expected ticker symbol WEBR. It began trading under symbol WEBR on August 5, 2021, opening at $17 per share compared to the IPO offering of $14 per share.
- Weber's Art of the Grill: Recipes for Outdoor Living, Jamie Purviance and Tim Turner, ISBN 978-0-8118-2419-4, 1999.
- Weber's Big Book of Grilling, Jamie Purviance, Sandra S. McRae, and Tim Turner, ISBN 978-0-8118-3197-0, 2001.
- Weber's Art of the Grill Deck: Recipes for Outdoor Living (cards), Jamie Purviance and Tim Turner, ISBN 978-0-8118-3336-3, 2002.
- Weber's Real Grilling, Jamie Purviance, Mike Kempster, and Tim Turner, ISBN 978-0-376-02046-8, 2005.
- Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking With Live Fire, Jamie Purviance and Tim Turner, ISBN 978-0-376-02047-5, 2007.
- Weber's Way to Grill: The Step-by-Step Guide to Expert Grilling, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0-376-02059-8, 2009.
- Weber's Complete Barbecue Book: Step-by-step Advice and Over 150 Delicious Barbecue Recipes, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0600621119, 2010.
- Weber's On the Grill: Chicken & Sides: Over 100 Fresh, Great Tasting Recipes, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0376020352, 2010.
- Weber's On the Grill: Steak & Sides: Over 100 Fresh, Great Tasting Recipes, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0376020338, 2010.
- Weber's Time to Grill: Get In. Get Out. Get Grilling., Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0376020604, 2011.
- Weber's Smoke: A Guide to Smoke Cooking for Everyone and Any Grill, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0376020673, 2012.
- Weber's Barbecue Anytime: Over 190 Inspirational Recipes to Help You Get the Most Out of Your Barbecue, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0600624134, 2012.
- Weber's New Real Grilling: The ultimate cookbook for every backyard griller, Jamie Purviance, ISBN 978-0376027986, 2013.
- "Weber-Stephen Products Co. Acquires Ducane(R) Gas Grills". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Acquisition (March 2004)". PrivCo.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-06-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Keepers of the Flame". Saveur (117): 68. 2009.
- "Weber - A food love story". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- "Weber Newsroom - Company History". Archived from the original on 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- "George Stephen, Company Founder and Inventor of the Weber Kettle Grill". Archived from the original on 2007-06-23. Retrieved 2007-07-02.
- Phyllis Benson (2000-06-08). "Weber Grill Restaurant, 920 Milwaukee Ave., Wheeling, has..." Articles.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Weber-Stephen Product Co. Corporate Fact Sheet". Archived from the original on 2007-11-07. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- "Ducane Gas Barbeque Grill Parts and BBQ Manufacturing History". Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Weber-Stephen Products Co. Introduces Its New 2007 Ducane Gas Grill Line Up". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Weber acquires smart oven maker June". Engadget. Retrieved 2021-01-12.
- "Outdoor grills maker Weber files for U.S. IPO". Reuters. 2021-07-12. Retrieved 2021-07-14.
- "S-1". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2021-07-14.
- "Outdoor grills maker Weber valued at nearly $5 bln in debut as shares rise". Financial Post. 2021-08-05.
- Official website
- Business data for Weber Inc.: