Host Europe Group
|Industry||Communications and Media|
|Founded||1997 (as GX Networks)|
|Headquarters||The Old Vinyl Factory, Hayes, United Kingdom|
Through a series of acquisitions and (de)mergers GX Networks (and subsequently Webfusion) is known through various brands. Since 2009, the company has consolidated its trading under the brand names: 123-reg (The UK's largest domain name registrar, with more than 3 million names registered and 1.3 million websites hosted), Heart Internet (UK hosting), Host Europe (German hosting), Webfusion (UK and Spanish hosting), RedCoruna (Spanish hosting), Mesh Digital and Domainbox (international domain names).
It began by offering internet services to corporations and began trading under the GX name in 1997. It believed that it had developed the first transatlantic IP backbone running native ATM. Webfusion originally started out with major Network Access Points in Washington and San Jose in the US, London's LINX and Stockholm in Europe.
With various changes of ownership, the company's name has changed several times, taking on the Pipex name following its takeover in 2003. Following restructuring in 2009, the company trades under the Webfusion name in the UK, as part of HEG (formerly Host Europe Group) and is based in Hayes in west London.
- April 1997 - Internet Technology Group (ITG) announces the acquisition of Xara Networks Limited in a deal worth £2.65 million.
- September 1997 - Xara Networks, a subsidiary of Internet Technology Group (ITG), relaunched as GX Networks.
- January 2000 - GX Networks became part of Concentric Network.
- September 2000 - Concentric Network merged with Nextlink to form XO Communications.
- 2001 - The UK arm of XO Europe was sold off to form Transigent Limited.
- September 2002 - Zipcom plc acquires Transigent Limited (formerly XO Limited), the parent company of GX Networks in a deal worth approximately £10m.
- October 2002 - Zipcom plc acquired the entire share capital of Transigent Limited the parent company of GX Networks.
- March 2003 - Zipcom plc changed its name to GX Networks plc.
- July 2003 - GX Networks acquires two more telecoms businesses XTML Limited ("XTML") and Compulink Information eXchange Limited ("CIX"), which were previously part of the Telenor Business Holdings UK Limited Group ("Telenor").
- September 2003 - GX Networks buy Firstnet Ltd (owners of Liberty Broadband aka Tele2 UK)
- October 2003 - GX Networks plc became Pipex Communications plc to maintain the PIPEX brand after a buy out for £55m.
- May 2005 - Pipex Communications acquires Donhost
- 2006 - Pipex Communications acquires Supanetwork, better known as SupaNames, for £2.2 million.
- March 2008 - Due to Pipex Broadband being sold to Tiscali (now Talk Talk), the company known as Pipex Communications UK Ltd reverts to GX Networks Ltd.
- October 2009 - Further internal re-structuring by Oakley Capital (Owner of GX Networks) after selling Vialtus Solutions and further consolidate the brands of GX Networks by renaming the company Host Europe Group, and the UK business after the hosting branch of the firm Webfusion Limited
- March 2010 - Host Europe Group acquires Virtualization firm Vanager
- September 2010 - Host Europe Group acquired by Montagu Private Equity
- March 2011 - Host Europe Group acquires Dynamic-net.ch AG
- August 2011 - Host Europe Group acquires Heart Internet Ltd
- January 2012 - Host Europe Group acquires Spanish web host RedCoruna
- May 2012 - Dynamic-net rebrands to Host Europe Suisse
- May 2012 - Host Europe Group acquires Mesh Digital Ltd
- July 2013 – Host Europe Group is acquired by Cinven.
- Oct 2013 - Host Europe Group acquires Telefónica Online Services
- Oct 2013 - Host Europe Group acquires domainFACTORY
- Aug 2014 - Host Europe Group acquires Sign-Up.to
- Nov 2014 - Host Europe Group becomes HEG
- Dec 2014 - HEG acquires intergenia AG
- Oct 2015 - HEG acquires Paragon Internet Group
- Dec 2016 - GoDaddy acquires HEG The full list of HEG brands in 2017 can be found here.
- "Our Brands". Host Europe Group. Archived from the original on 2012-08-09. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
-  Archived January 9, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- GX Networks
- Concentric Network Closes Internet Technology Group PLC Acquisition
- Goodbye Nextlink, Hello XO - Company Business and Marketing
- :: M2 Release ::
- News and Events | news | 2002 | SJ Berwin Represents Peter Dubens and Laurence Blackall on Sale of Transigent Archived October 29, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- GX Networks acquires two more telecoms businesses | Internet Marketing News and Blog | E-consultancy.com
- "Pipex Acquire Donhost (WWW Hosting) : ISPreview UK News". www.ispreview.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- Pipex renamed GX Networks
- Reuters (19 July 2013). "Deals of the day -- mergers and acquisitions". Reuters.
- "GoDaddy Inc. - GoDaddy Acquires Host Europe Group, Becomes Market Leader In Europe For Small Business Cloud Services". GoDaddy. Retrieved 2016-12-13.
- "HEG brands". Retrieved 2017-11-01.