Wedding Church at Cana
|Wedding Church at Cana|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
The Wedding Church at Cana (Hebrew: כנסיית החתונה) or simply Wedding Church, Also Franciscan Wedding Church, is the name given to a religious building of the Catholic church located in the central part of the town of Kafr Kanna (Cana),[self-published source] in the Lower Galilee in northern Israel. It is dedicated to weddings and its name commemorates the miracle of turning water into wine at the wedding at Cana.
In the fourth century a synagogue was built in the place, but in the Byzantine period, around the century the temple was destroyed. A small Christian chapel was established nearby, but for 1551 was in ruins. In 1641 the Franciscans of the Custody of the Holy Land began the process of land acquisition in place, it was completed in 1879.
In 1901 the current facade was built, and September 30, 1906, Bishop Angelo Roncalli consecrated the altar. In the second half of the 1990s, the Holy Land began an extensive renovation of the church. In 1997 he conducted an exhaustive archaeological research, and the complete renovation of the church was completed in 1999.
Address:Latin Church Cana P.O.B. 1580 16930 Kafr Kanna ISRAEL
Tel: 972. 4 651.70.11 +972. 4 641.80.39 Fax: +972. 4 651.97.06
- Planet, Lonely; Robinson, Daniel; Crowcroft, Orlando; Maxwell, Virginia; Walker, Jenny (2015-06-01). Lonely Planet Israel & the Palestinian Territories. Lonely Planet. ISBN 9781743605479.
- Bailey, Betty (1999-01-01). Living Stones Pilgrimage: With the Christians of the Holy Land. A&C Black. ISBN 9780304704668.
- McCormick, James R. (2000-01-01). Jerusalem and the Holy Land: The First Ecumenical Pilgrim's Guide. iUniverse. ISBN 9781583487365.
- Jerjian, George (2014-03-25). Seeking God: A Pilgrimage in the Holy Land. Xlibris Corporation. ISBN 9781493186990.
- Wilson, Samantha (2011-01-01). Israel. Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841623627.