Wedding Church at Cana
|Wedding Church at Cana|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
The Wedding Church at Cana (Hebrew: כנסיית החתונה) or simply Wedding Church, also Franciscan Wedding Church, is the name given to a religious building of the Catholic Church located in the central part of the town of Kafr Kanna (Cana),[self-published source] in the Lower Galilee in northern Israel. It is dedicated to weddings. Its name commemorates an event from the Christian Gospel of John, known as The Wedding at Cana, during which Jesus performed the miracle of turning water into wine.
The Church is owned by the Custody of the Holy Land, part of the Franciscan order in the Catholic Church. The current church was built circa 1881, and expanded from 1897-1905, following efforts by the Franciscans to acquire the site between 1641 and 1879, when acquisition was completed. Twentieth-century archaeological excavations indicated that, before the current church building, the site housed a Jewish synagogue in the fourth and fifth centuries, and tombs under the rule of the Byzantine Empire in the fifth and sixth centuries.
In 1901 the current facade was built, and September 30, 1906, Bishop Angelo Roncalli consecrated the altar. In the second half of the 1990s, the Holy Land began an extensive renovation of the church. The complete renovation of the church was completed in 1999.
- Marriage at Cana or Wedding at Cana, the Biblical story associated with this site
- The Wedding at Cana, a 1563 painting by the Italian artist Paolo Veronese (1528–88), depicting the event
- Roman Catholicism in Israel
- Planet, Lonely; Robinson, Daniel; Crowcroft, Orlando; Maxwell, Virginia; Walker, Jenny (2015-06-01). Lonely Planet Israel & the Palestinian Territories. Lonely Planet. ISBN 9781743605479.
- Bailey, Betty (1999-01-01). Living Stones Pilgrimage: With the Christians of the Holy Land. A&C Black. ISBN 9780304704668.
- McCormick, James R. (2000-01-01). Jerusalem and the Holy Land: The First Ecumenical Pilgrim's Guide. iUniverse. ISBN 9781583487365.
- Jerjian, George (2014-03-25). Seeking God: A Pilgrimage in the Holy Land. Xlibris Corporation. ISBN 9781493186990.
- Wilson, Samantha (2011-01-01). Israel. Bradt Travel Guides. ISBN 9781841623627.
- Custodia Terræ Sanctæ (Custody of the Holy Land). "Cana". Retrieved 2018-09-14.