WeeChat is a modular chat client with support for IRC.
WeeChat comes with a default ncurses interface, but it is possible to use other interfaces (i.e. "glowing-bear" which is an interface for the web).
WeeChat's features include:
- Proxy connections
- The screen can be split up to display multiple windows at the same time.
- Incremental text search
- Aspell support for spell checking
- FIFO pipes for remote control
- Support for multiple character encodings
- User-defined aliases and shortkeys
Binary packages and builds of WeeChat are available for installation as well as the source code for self compilation. This includes most Linux distributions, such as Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva Linux, Fedora, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux, as well as FreeBSD via the FreeBSD Ports system.
In his review for Free Software Magazine, Martin Brown graded WeeChat with 43 points out of a possible 50, noting that "At first glance, WeeChat is not as friendly or easy to use as Rhapsody", but, "There’s a lot of hidden power built into the application", including Python, Perl, Ruby and Lua extensions which can be selected at installation.
- "WeeChat :: about :: Features". weechat.org. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "WeeChat in Cygwin". weechat.org. 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- "WeeChat: Downloads". weechat.org. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Debian: WeeChat packages". packages.debian.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Ubuntu: WeeChat packages". packages.ubuntu.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Mandriva: WeeChat packages". mandriva.com. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Fedora: WeeChat packages". fedoraproject.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Gentoo: WeeChat packages". gentoo.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Arch Linux: WeeChat packages". archlinux.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "FreeBSD Ports: WeeChat". freebsd.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- Brown, Martin (2005-09-07). "Free IRC clients : Choosing the best IRC client for your needs". Free Software Magazine (7). Retrieved 2014-01-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WeeChat.|
- Official website
- Github page
- Savannah project page (deprecated)
- WeeChat at Freecode
- #weechat connect on freenode