WeeChat 0.3.2 with the default configuration and the buffers.pl script in use
|Initial release||June 26, 2003|
|Operating system||Linux, BSD, OS X, GNU Hurd, Microsoft Windows (using Cygwin)|
|Available in||13 languages|
WeeChat (Wee Enhanced Environment for Chat) is a free and open-source Internet Relay Chat client, which is designed to be light and fast. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License 3 and has been developed since 2003.
WeeChat's features include:
- Proxy connections
- The screen can be split up to display multiple windows at the same time.
- Incremental text search
- Aspell support for spell checking
- FIFO pipes for remote control
- Support for multiple character encodings
- User-defined aliases and shortkeys
Binary packages and builds of WeeChat are available for installation as well as the source code for self compilation. This includes most Linux distributions and BSD package management systems, such as Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva Linux, Fedora, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux, FreeBSD via the FreeBSD Ports system, OpenBSD via the Ports collection, as well on NetBSD via Pkgsrc.
In his review for Free Software Magazine, Martin Brown graded WeeChat with 43 points out of a possible 50, noting that "At first glance, WeeChat is not as friendly or easy to use as Rhapsody", but, "There’s a lot of hidden power built into the application", including Python, Perl, Ruby and Lua extensions which can be selected at installation.
- "Version 2.2". weechat.org. Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "WeeChat, the extensible chat client". Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "WeeChat translations". WeeChat. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Helleu, Sébastien. "WeeChat user's guide". weechat.org. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Glowing Bear - A web client for WeeChat". github.com. glowing-bear.org. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "WeeChat :: about :: Features". weechat.org. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "WeeChat in Cygwin". weechat.org. 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- "WeeChat: Downloads". weechat.org. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Debian: WeeChat packages". packages.debian.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Ubuntu: WeeChat packages". packages.ubuntu.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Mandriva: WeeChat packages". mandriva.com. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Fedora: WeeChat packages". fedoraproject.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Gentoo: WeeChat packages". gentoo.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Arch Linux: WeeChat packages". archlinux.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "FreeBSD Ports: WeeChat". freebsd.org. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- Brown, Martin (2005-09-07). "Free IRC clients : Choosing the best IRC client for your needs". Free Software Magazine (7). Retrieved 2014-01-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WeeChat.|