Saint Martin church in Weert
Location in Limburg
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jos Heijmans (D66)|
|• Total||105.52 km2 (40.74 sq mi)|
|• Land||104.52 km2 (40.36 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.00 km2 (0.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||35 m (115 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||467/km2 (1,210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Weert (Dutch pronunciation: [ʋeːrt] ( listen); Limburgish: Wieërt, local pronunciation: [βiəʀt]) is a municipality and city in the southeastern Netherlands. Weert had a population of 48,825 in 2014. It lies on the Eindhoven–Maastricht railway line, and is also astride the Zuid-Willemsvaart canal.
The city of Weert
Weert received city rights in 1414.
- Dutch in Weert is often spoken with a distinctive Limburgish accent, which should not be confused with the Limburgish language.
- Limburgish (or Limburgian) is the overlapping term of the tonal dialects spoken in the Belgian and Dutch provinces of Limburg. The Weert dialect is only one of many variants of Limburgish.
Railway station: Weert
- Frans Weekers (born 1967), Dutch Politician
- Jan Dibbets (born 1941), conceptual artist
- Ton van Loon (born 1956), military commander
- Lucas Hüsgen (born 1960), writer
- Gonnelien Rothenberger (born 1968), equestrian
- Sjeng Schalken (born 1976), tennis player
- Elbekay Bouchiba (born 1978), footballer
- Frank van Kouwen (born 1980), footballer
- Bjorn Hoeben (born 1980), cyclist
- Olivier Tielemans (born 1984), race car driver
- Pieter Custers (born 1984), archer
- Steef Nieuwendaal (born 1986), footballer
Weert is twinned with the following cities:
- Sint-Truiden, Belgium
- "A.A.M.M. (Jos) Heijmans" (in Dutch). Gemeente Weert. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 6001GJ". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Heijmans, Linda; Gussenhoven, Carlos (1998), "The Dutch dialect of Weert" (PDF), Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 28: 107, doi:10.1017/S0025100300006307
|Bocholt (BE-VLI)||Kinrooi (BE-VLI)|
|This Dutch Limburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|