|Reign||1794–1757 BC (13th Dynasty)|
Khutawyre Wegaf (or Ugaf) was an ancient Egyptian pharaoh of the 13th Dynasty who is known from several sources, including a stele and statues. There is a general known from a scarab with the same name (Wegaf) who is perhaps identical with this king.
A king with the name Khutawyre appears in the Turin King List as first ruler of the 13th Dynasty. However, some researchers--especially Kim Ryholt--argue that the writer of the king list confused the name Khutawyre with that of Sekhemre Khutawy Sobekhotep and consequently placed Wegaf as the first pharaoh of the 13th Dynasty when he should have been placed in the middle of it. In particular, Sekhemre Khutawy Sobekhotep is regarded by Ryholt and other Egyptologists, including Darrell Baker, as the first pharaoh of the 13th Dynasty and a son of Amenemhat IV.
A stela found at Abydos, dated to a regnal Year 4 and dedicated to preserving the procession road in the area of Wepwawet (Cairo Museum JE 35256) was usurped by Neferhotep I, but Anthony Leahy suggested that it was originally issued by Wegaf, an opinion shared by Darell Baker but not by Ryholt, who rather suggested that the original issuer of the stela was more likely another pharaoh of the 13th Dynasty, Seth Meribre.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wegaf Khutawyre.|
- Georges Legrain: Notes d’inspection. XLIX-LVI, ASAE 8, 1907, p. 248-275
- Thomas Schneider: Lexikon der Pharaonen
- Darrell D. Baker: The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs: Volume I - Predynastic to the Twentieth Dynasty 3300–1069 BC, Stacey International, ISBN 978-1-905299-37-9, 2008
- Leahy, Anthony (1989). "A Protective Measure at Abydos in the Thirteenth Dynasty". Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 75: 41–60.
- Darrell D. Baker: The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs: Volume I - Predynastic to the Twentieth Dynasty 3300–1069 BC, Stacey International, ISBN 978-1-905299-37-9, 2008, p. 406
- K.S.B. Ryholt, The Political Situation in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, c.1800-1550 BC (Carsten Niebuhr Institute Publications, vol. 20. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press, 1997).
|Pharaoh of Egypt